cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What temperatures do you prefer when working?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys,

I read an article about how office temperatures matter perhaps more than we might think to how productive we are at work (I think it probably affects also any task that we are required to do even at home, if not at the office). 

According to research, performance can increase when temperatures are between 21-22°C, and decrease if below or above that. If the office is above 25.4°C there's a 16% decrease in productivity!

Comfortable temperature differs from person to person too based on factors such as their age, physical health, stress levels etc, so it can be difficult to come to an agreement for everyone especially in an office environment with multiple people working there, on what is 'comfortable'.

So I thought it would be interesting to hear from you what kind of temperatures you like when you need to concentrate at work (or in general at home)? Are you one of those who prefer to work in a cooler room, or one of those (like myself) who prefers it to be very warm? Have you noticed any effect in how productive you feel with different air temperatures?

I'm definitely more comfortable in a warmer room and office (let's say above 23°C sounds good), as long as the air quality is good. I get distracted if cool air even touches my skin, even if I wasn't cold!! So I'm often found wearing hoodies and long sleeves even far into summer time.

What about when you're working (or were working in the past), did you ever come across tension at work with colleagues on who gets to set the temperature, should the windows be opened etc.?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

As I get older @Marjo  I prefer to be in a warm environment. My other half prefers to be much cooler. There is a 'game' in this house, it involves the central heating. It is turned down at night. When I get up (always first) I turn it up. When Ray gets up it gets turned down. We seem to play this game all day long!

He is usually in a T shirt, I am in a jumper....

When I worked, it was different. Nursing uniforms are always short sleeved and I never felt the cold whatever the weather, as we were far too busy. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Too hot in the office always made me feel tired very quickly. Too cold and I was shivering and had to put on a coat. They could never seem to strike a happy medium.

Message 3 of 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
I am normally the one complaining itnis too warm.
In my last office we would sit at one end of the room complaining it was too hot in short sleeves or polo shorts while at the other end they had coats and hot water bottles!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last place big was working had air conditioning, which was annoying at the best of times. If you were sat under it or near it you froze & at distance felt nothing. And with AC they keep all the windows closed so no fresh air either.. The cafe that I do a few hours in now is always warm to hot. Not allowed to have the doors open either.. so I go for a wander round the backyard to cool off.

I'd love to be a landscape gardener.. outdoor.. in shorts.. constantly on the move in the fresh air... So I guess I'll have to say the cooler the better, but with some sun please!

Message 5 of 5