Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI Calling

lawsmed
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Here is something I have just learnt from O2: I have been a business customer with O2 for some years now. When I changed to O2, my WIFI calling actually did work. However, it stopped working over a year ago (for all of our iPhones registered to O2). 

I was told today that the reason for WIFI calling not being available for me/ us is that O2 does/may not support devices that have not been purchased through them, so with other words: WIFI calling is only available for customers who received/obtained their iPhones via O2 and not for O2 SIM only customers.

No idea when this policy was introduced but I thought I share this with the O2 community.

Other than that, I can highly recommend O2.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Very true @ewanrw but the advice that it won't work <period> is just disgraceful !

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 16

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Agreed.

Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also agreed - I have huge sympathy for anyone dealing with the Business side of o2 - pretty Kafkaesque at best.

Message 13 of 16

lawsmed
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you all for your input; I have raised it with the O2 support team again who now confirmed that it should be working. They are looking into it for me, so fingers crossed.

Message 14 of 16

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@lawsmed wrote:

Here is something I have just learnt from O2: I have been a business customer with O2 for some years now. When I changed to O2, my WIFI calling actually did work. However, it stopped working over a year ago (for all of our iPhones registered to O2). 

I was told today that the reason for WIFI calling not being available for me/ us is that O2 does/may not support devices that have not been purchased through them, so with other words: WIFI calling is only available for customers who received/obtained their iPhones via O2 and not for O2 SIM only customers.

No idea when this policy was introduced but I thought I share this with the O2 community.

Other than that, I can highly recommend O2.

Hi @lawsmed,

Sorry you've not had a great time with your previous experience calling our CS team, but great to hear you've been back in touch and it's being looked into. In the meantime though, could you DM me your O2 mobile number and date/time of the call so I can look into feeding this back? Also, here are some of the reasons why Wifi calling may not work on an iPhone:

• iPhone 6 or newer
  • iOS 10.3 or newer
  • Wifi and 4G Calling provisioned on the account (if you're a business customer, our CS team can do this)
  • Doesn’t have any incompatible services on the account – Mobex, JCM, Mobile Recording, any service that uses a private APN

With you being a business customer as far as I can make out, I wonder more about that last point - some businesses can push remote profiles to their iPhone's that can change various settings and scripts for their own needs and requirements, and in some instances that could potentially include a private APN setting for corporate networks for example.

If it's none of the above, hopefully our CS team will be able to investigate further and get to the bottom of this for you.

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @lawsmed

Yes O2 are correct. WiFi calling only works on phones which have O2 firmware installed.

An interesting thread about it here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/Wi-Fi-calling-not-working-on-more-8-from-cpw/m-p/1080196/highl...

Welcome to the forum, nice to see you posting Welcome

Hey @Cleoriff - way back at the start for Android devices that was correct, but more and more 'open market' Androids are getting lucky and having Wifi calling work on them via O2, even if not purchased directly from us slight_smile

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 15 of 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for the clarification @Chris_K wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 16