cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Upgrade on us after 12 months" Woes!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I got the 6s Plus 128GB on launch last year, on the 30GB "upgrade on us after 12 months trade-in" tarriff.

The iPhone 7 is on pre-order tomorrow, for release on the 16th.

Unfortunately, I can't use the "upgrade on us after 12 months" trade-in to pre-order because 12 months isn't until the 25/09.

Grrrrrrr. Can't help feeling a little played.

Think I'll use the Envirofone lock-in I had for £480, pay off my device plan (with a bit of change left over) and just get the new phone (7s Plus 256GB) from Apple on their payment plan.

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adeuk5
Level 3: Thinker
  • 38 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I checked with CS about the procedure.

On the anniversary date, you call them to place the order. Everything happens in that call; The new phone and contract are set up and your remaining plan balance is paid by them at at that time. They also ask you questions to confirm the condition of your current phone.

The phone is sent to you when they have stock, together with a return envelope which you use to then send them your phone.

Quite neat. You are never without a phone and you do not have to pay up front for the remaining device payment plan.

Obviously the phone has to meet their criteria (perfect apart from reasonable wear and tear, which is a little vague) and you have to send them your phone, otherwise you will be required to refund the payment plan balance

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can not agree more - this is shocking customer service from O2. 

If you pre-ordered last year, you should be able to pre-order this year. 

And every year your upgrade date will get further and further from launch. 

Message 2 of 20

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Have you checked with o2 to see if you can?
When Apple choose to release their phone is not in the hands of o2, so blaming them for when the phone is out is not entirely fair....

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I checked via webchat before posting. Can upgrade via the trade-in on 25/09 at the earliest.

Message 4 of 20

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

But the terms were to upgrade on us after 12 months, not to get the phone when it was released?
So o2 are playing according to the rules they set out, but the phone is out earlier this year than last.
Annoying but not unsurprising.
What you are looking for is for o2 to allow you to upgrade early in effect...

Edit - it may also be worth phone CS to check if they will let you...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 20

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
I would suggest the dates are part of the contract therefore "Upgrade on us after 12 months" is set in stone.
As stated, O2 have no control over when Apple release their next model.
The contract was agreed for an upgrade to apply after 12 months.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am same can upgrade on the 25th it's no big deal waiting a couple of weeks.

Does anybody know how the upgrade works ? do you need to trade in your iPhone 6s before you get the new handset
Message 7 of 20

AngryWarlock
Level 4: Observant
  • 81 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Im in the same boat as the OP, so my 6S+ is off to Envirophone on Monday while i rock a 4S for a few days !

Cash should be with me on Friday to pay off the refresh contract and begin again.

The good thing is my anniversary date moves forwards, so next year when there is much more scramble for the "Revolutionary iPhone 8 - The best ever iPhone" and its new design I should be in a better place to get hold of it.

Message 8 of 20

adeuk5
Level 3: Thinker
  • 38 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I checked with CS about the procedure.

On the anniversary date, you call them to place the order. Everything happens in that call; The new phone and contract are set up and your remaining plan balance is paid by them at at that time. They also ask you questions to confirm the condition of your current phone.

The phone is sent to you when they have stock, together with a return envelope which you use to then send them your phone.

Quite neat. You are never without a phone and you do not have to pay up front for the remaining device payment plan.

Obviously the phone has to meet their criteria (perfect apart from reasonable wear and tear, which is a little vague) and you have to send them your phone, otherwise you will be required to refund the payment plan balance

Message 9 of 20

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

adeuk5 wrote:

Obviously the phone has to meet their criteria (perfect apart from reasonable wear and tear, which is a little vague)

I foresee another angry iPhone thread in a few weeks time. If anybody has ever leased any equipment then they will know what I mean.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 10 of 20