Did you mean: 

iPhone 6s + Unlocking ..

Kernow_Mark
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi All,

Purchased an iPhone 6s Plus on an O2 (24 month) Refresh contract on Dec 1st 2015 from my local O2 store.  No grumbles so far, staff in the store were excellent ...

I've submitted 2 unlock requests via the My O2 app, and each time it keeps getting rejected, with the reply being " I'm sorry, we have not been able to unlatch your device at this time. 

The reason given is:  Sorry, the handset credit agreement must be paid off before we can 
unlatch your iPhone."

But the My O2 app makes no mention of this - it simply states the following ..

Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 10.44.48.png

The email footer from my denied unlock request advises me to email mycare@o2mail.co.uk which I've done, but this then bounces back saying that the email help / support service has been closed.  Good eh 😞

Any idea's ?  If I have to pay off the handset part that's fine, I will do so - but i wish that the website and T & C's would make this clear !

Mark
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It states, in your screenshot, that policy may vary by device, which it does and all new iPhones have this restriction for a period of up to 6 months.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
  • 92908 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's usually around 6 months before they unlock the new iphones unless the device is fully paid off. That's what you need to do if you are desperate to unlock it.

There is no email contact now so why they keep issuing a defunct address is ridiculous.

Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It states, in your screenshot, that policy may vary by device, which it does and all new iPhones have this restriction for a period of up to 6 months.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your info is correct @Kernow_Mark o2 won't allow unlocking until around April as is the normality with new iPhones 

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unless u bought the iPhone from Apple you can't get the phone unlocked
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous All the correct information about unlocking is correct & has been already provided in this thread. 

Your comment is not entirely correct or with substance 

Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

That's not true at all.

Apple phones are unlocked already, so no need to unlock them and O2 will unlock one of their's if it is paid for in full, currently, or in around 4-6 months from launch.

Last year it was end of Jan when they started unlocking the 6.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Seems daft, given that they will unlock an S6 weeks after they sell it. (Refresh tariff)
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Regardless, it has always been policy for iPhones.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

An iPhone purchased from Apple outright, is not locked.

The iPhone I have was purchased direct from Apple and is not locked. I've used O2, Three, EE sim cards and all work fine.

Message 10 of 13