cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5s won't stay connected to WiFi

Anonymous
Not applicable

For some reason my iPhone 5s won't stay connected to my WiFi. 

It's really annoying as I keep having to reconnect, and it sometimes takes ages to find the network again. I never had this problem with my 4s, it would stay connected at all times unless I disconnected it myself.

I know it's not a problem with my WiFi as my mum and dad stay connected with no problems, and my laptop remains connected.

Any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem? Smiley Frustrated Thank you.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Could be a faulty handset book a genius appointment at an apple store.

I have not experianced this on my 5s

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 11

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Do you have access to another wifi network you can try to see if the issue is isolated to just your home network. If not you could check out if there are any O2 Wifi Hotspots near you and pop to one of them just to check.

If the issue is isolated to your home network you could try changing the channel in the router's settings which may correct the problem.

If it happens with any wifi network or still happens if you change the channel of your home wifi then it is looking like a hardware fault which would necessitate a visit to an Apple store for a genius appointment

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried -

Settings - General - reset - reset network settings
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm hoping it's not a faulty handset, I've had the handset less than a week so I reckon it'll probably be that I have to adjust the WiFi settings on my router...

It keeps changing to WiFi after locking my phone and not using it for longer than ten minutes for example, like when you're using a visitors WiFi and it disconnects after a while. 

I've just tried resetting the Network settings, and my WiFi connection lasted about five minutes before booting me off. It's driving me insane. slight_frown

I'll look tinkering with the WiFi settings in morning, hopefully the channel just needs updating! :smileywink:7

Thanks guys, will keep you posted.

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok.

Hope this resolves for you.
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke to AppleCare last night, and they suggested I reset my phone. 

It's been reset and up to now, I haven't been kicked off my WiFi. Though, I don't want to speak too soon, haha. 

If it starts playing up again I'll look at my router. slight_smile

Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fingers crossed.

slight_smile
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Going to take it back to o2 and ask for a replacement.

At this point I think it's an issue with the phone. I'm still having the problem, despite restarting my phone, taking the SIM card out and giving it a clean, restoring the phone all together as a new phone, tampering with my WiFi settings. And the phone is only a week old. No one else is having the same issue with WiFi as I am, so I believe it's a fault with the handset.

I'd take it to an Apple store, or Genius bar, but I don't live anywhere near one, unfortunately. 

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Let us know how you get on.

Message 10 of 11