Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5S no 4G or roaming

antonypg
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My wife has two specific problems with her iPhone 5S.

1. She never, ever gets 4G, only 3G.

2. Data roaming abroad does not work at all.

I have an iPhone 6S and it works fine, 4G in most of the UK, and data roaming abroad. When we went to France recently my wife got the text to say roaming will only cost her £1.99, and she switched on roaming, but she never got a byte of data even with a decent 3G signal.

I have owned virtually all the iPhones and generally know my way around the settings. I cannot find any reason why the 5S would not switch to 4G. The settings are exactly the same as on my 6S. We have tried "Reset Network Settings".

The 5S did originally connect to 4G when purchased but since switching to a simplicity account at the end of 2 years it has only ever got 3G. Also for some reason I cannot set up the "shared data service", I wanted to share my 20G allowance but the 5S comes up as "not available for data sharing".

Could it be a problem with her account or her SIM??

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm fairly sure that when she switched contracts they will have put her on the wrong data bolt on. Check in My O2 and then call 202 to get it changed to idata. You probably have the correct answer settings but they won't work if you have the incorrect bolt on eg . BlackBerry 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sounds like 2 account issues.
1. 4g not enabled.
2. International roaming not enabled.
Call CS on 202 and get them to check the account settings and whilst there also ask them to check the data bolt on is for an iPhone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm fairly sure that when she switched contracts they will have put her on the wrong data bolt on. Check in My O2 and then call 202 to get it changed to idata. You probably have the correct answer settings but they won't work if you have the incorrect bolt on eg . BlackBerry 

Message 3 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
With regards to the data sharing, I believe that you need to set it up as a sharer when the contract starts.
Check out the following link:
http://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 15

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You need to set up a lead device at contract inception. After that other contracts can be added either at inception or when the contractual obligation is complete.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 15

antonypg
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

It was definitely some settings at their end. I upgraded my wifes contract to a simplicity plan with a bit more data and all of a sudden she also got 4G.

I am not sure if it is just me that is unlucky. I transferred my daughters iPhone from Tesco to O2 and it took a week and 7 phone calls just to get her data working. I have converted iPhones from contract to simplicity plans three or four times and every single time I have lost data and had to call them. Having said that, I think they have now upgraded the O2 site to include an iPhone tick box or drop down menu in more places, O2 seemed to automatically assume everyone had a Blackberry.

Message 7 of 15

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's good you are sorted but why can't customer service check everything is correct in the first place....

Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Hmmm, another one, as suspected.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 15

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It just makes you wonder the point of feeding it back when nothing is done. As said a simple drop down box with phone type wouldn't be difficult to implement or an email to the upgrade team. Quite outrageous to be honest and just think about the load that could be taken off customer service rather than the folks on here having to do their job.

Message 10 of 15