cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 purchased now from O2 won't work on the 4g network ever?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone advise on this-  I was told (from someone at o2) that the if you purchase an iPhone 5 from o2 it will not work on the o2 4g network they are bidding for, as they are purchased via Carphone Warehouse ?  Hence the offer currently of an (expensive) upgrade in the future already.  And it is hoped, once o2 have 4g, they will be able to supply iPhones direct from Apple in the future which will work.  Does anyone know if there is any truth in this rumour ?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Several threads on this the iphone 5 will only work on ee 4g and not the bands o2 will be bidding for.

It is nothing to do with the fact that they come from cpw and it will be a 5s or 6 that will work with o2's 4g the hardware in the 5 only supports ee 4g

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149473 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
Apple do not provide the 4g band on the 5 to support any UK networks except EE..... You need to ask Apple why they made this decision....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's all not worth worrying about anyway. There isn't even proper full coverage of 3G in the uk. When 4G does come out its going to be very limited coverage and by the time it is properly up and running you'll be long overdue an upgrade.
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

So basically we've all been conned into getting new contracts back in April and told then getting the iPhone 5 would be a great idea as they would be going 4G at the end of the Summer. To add insult to injury 2 weeks ago O2 then sent me a new sim to ensure my change over to 4G is  all good. So new sim in I then go to an O2 shop in Fareham who now advise me this isn't possible!! Had I known that back in February, I would have gone to EE for a contract. I feel I should be free from contract due to being missold this one. 

Message 5 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94030 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

It's always been the case that the iphone 5 would not be able to use 4G on the O2 spectrum which is why they offered the 4G promise.

http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/4g-tariffs#still-in-contract

Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jablinski55,

Do you have anything in written form from 02 that the iPhone 5 they provided to you in a monthly contract would support their upcoming 4G Service ?

Message 7 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I feel I should be free from contract due to being missold this one. 

Missold or misunderstood?

As you can see from the date of the thread you have posted in, this information was freely available long before you bought this phone.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I agree. EE have iphone 5s on 4g. So I don't get y O2 can't do the same. It is probably y they have brought the iPhone 5 4g promise in.. So can upgrade early with 25% off. Only if u bought an iPhone between sept 2012 and march 2013 though! That u can do this
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lornz It's because 02 use a different frequency band for 4G to ee.

The iPhone 5 has the frequency band in it to operate on 4G with ee
Message 10 of 17