Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S Standby-Button

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2213 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hey guys

I got an iPhone 4S not yet a month ago, it was a used one from a friend. He got his first 4S replaced by Apple a bit more than a year ago (2th october '12 around).

Yesterday the standby-button broke... It don't react, even when I push it harder as usual.

Now the problem is... The wifi-modul broke before I got it and the friend tried to repair (didn't worked, the wifi is still broken) it on him own, so the phone was open before.

Now the question is: What can I do?

I heard if the workers in the Apple Stores see that the phone was open before, they are not likely to help anymore, right?

But I guess they won't guess a girl would open her phone on her own, right?

Any ideas? 😕

Greets, CC

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147094 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28289 Solutions
Maybe send it to someone in the UK to get it replaced for you...?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Any work carried out on the iPhone by unauthorised persons will invalidate the warranty. slight_frown

Phones typically have seals that show if the phone has been opened.

The iPhone carries a 1 year warranty.

If you input the iphones serial number here : https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do ,you will see what the warranty status is on it.

The serial number is here : Settings > General > About > Serial Number.

All you can do is book yourself in with an Apple Genius bar to see what they say !

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

The other possible alternative is that the Apple Genius offers you an out of warranty iphone deal for a cost.

Apple Link : http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

iPhone Model Out-of-Warranty Service

iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c,
iPhone 5
£ 216.44
iPhone 4s£ 166.44
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, 
iPhone 3G
£ 126.44

Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 147094 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28289 Solutions
CC
Your best option would most likely be an out of warranty replacement.
This would give you a refurbished (by Apple) phone and further warranty.
Check the German Apple store for your local prices, but they are quite reasonable for a 4S.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ComaChameleon wrote:

Hey guys

I got an iPhone 4S not yet a month ago, it was a used one from a friend. He got his first 4S replaced by Apple a bit more than a year ago (2th october '12 around).

Yesterday the standby-button broke... It don't react, even when I push it harder as usual.

Now the problem is... The wifi-modul broke before I got it and the friend tried to repair (didn't worked, the wifi is still broken) it on him own, so the phone was open before.

Now the question is: What can I do?

I heard if the workers in the Apple Stores see that the phone was open before, they are not likely to help anymore, right?

But I guess they won't guess a girl would open her phone on her own, right?

Any ideas? 😕

Greets, CC

No matter how old, try taking it to the Apple store, they are usually very understanding.

They won't be bothered if it has been opened up mostly, as long as there is no obvious sign it has been opened of course slight_smile

Make an appointment and goto local Apple store, good luck hoep you get it sorted.

Message 4 of 9

ComaChameleon
  • 2213 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks so far guys

@MI5 wrote:
CC
Your best option would most likely be an out of warranty replacement.
This would give you a refurbished (by Apple) phone and further warranty.
Check the German Apple store for your local prices, but they are quite reasonable for a 4S.

Thought about that too, but there's a problem with it. Last year around september there was an article in a big tv-magazine and they told the trick with replacements. So the run into the Apple Stores begun (I got my 3GS replaced after that too). So that Apple Germany does not replace that fast as they did before.

And I can't see any difference at the two screws near the dock, so I guess it's not visible, if it's not opened up from the outside.

@ BoB

It's just the first ticked, there's no warranty left..

What's with "Apple Care Protection", would I be able to get such a package to get it replaced via that... I guess that would be cheaper, right?

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 147094 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28289 Solutions
Maybe send it to someone in the UK to get it replaced for you...?
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apple care had to be purchased within a time frame of purchasing the iPhone I'm afraid and your well past that.
It was within the 1st year I believe.

Apple Care + had to be taken out within 30 days of purchase.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/iphone.html
Message 7 of 9

ComaChameleon
  • 2213 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@bob

Yeah, read that now too 😕

@MI5

I'll be in UK next month for a day. Maybe trying to get it replaced then... At least it's 15€ cheaper as here. 😕

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 147094 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28289 Solutions
Sounds like a good idea wink
Message 9 of 9