cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i phone4s and i tunes don't seem to want to work together!

amici-pat
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 60 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Long story short - lost 4s which was reasonably new on o2 (been with them for years), new one supplied through my bank insurance, locked to o2.   Restored from backup, not sure if through i cloud or i tunes, all my contacts were missing, anyway after a few days trying, gave up on that.

Fast forward a few weeks and started to get 'storage nearly full',  and 'not enough space to backup/update'.   Connected to updated i-tunes to find phone nearly full with 'other'.

Followed loads of items on these problems online to try and sort this out, and now everything is a total mess.   Decided to factory reset and restore from i tunes, which just re-installed all the previous problems!!., plus I have now lost and cannot re-sync my Google Calendar.    I have the latest upgrades on both i tunes and i phone.

My i pad 2 is ok so far so fingers crossed.

On cloud storage it does show a backup for my original (lost) i phone as well, but this is less than 1G so hoping that my original Contact may still be there to find one day.

Latest message on i tunes sync says it cannot sync Aps as i phone won't let it know whats' on there!!!!

Only thing I can see is to factory restore, and set up as a new 'phone?   I am hoping there might be someone out there who can help before I take this step.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try that or if that doesn't work, book a genius appointment at your nearest apple store & you will walk in & out within 10 minutes with a brand new phone

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try that or if that doesn't work, book a genius appointment at your nearest apple store & you will walk in & out within 10 minutes with a brand new phone

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would first ensure that iTunes is the most recent version.

Then restore and set up as new.

Then go into iCloud in your iPhone and use that back up.
Message 3 of 10

amici-pat
  • 60 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you for your advice, I do not have an Apple store anywhere near to me, would it be the same if I returned to an o2 shop?

This is getting more and more confusing, latest effort, calendars still do not work, but after weeks of being missing, all my contacts have returned!!!! I have no idea where they have come from, or what I did, that I have not done several times before, now scared of losing them again, what would be the first move to back them up to make sure I do not 'lose' them again?, prior to factory settings.

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

it you returned it to the o2 store, they will send it away for repair & it wont come back for ages & they will probably do an update

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

it you returned it to the o2 store, they will send it away for repair & it wont come back for ages & they will probably do an update

Define ages fella, as I lost my phone for 3 days on two different occasions through having it repaired via o2.

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

i have heard some take 3 weeks to up a month in some cases

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't personally contemplate taking an iPhone into 02 for repair.

Sadly like most shops they only want to protect their store stock to sell to new customers.

My most local Apple Store is an hours train ride away which is a journey I'd rather make than have my phone sent away for x amount of time.

As said if you do decide to make a journey then first book an appointment at the Genius Bar. If it is the iPhone that has failed then you will walk out with a mint replacement.

Apples Customer Service is really unsurpassed !
Message 8 of 10

amici-pat
  • 60 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Many thanks, have located my nearest Apple Store and will make an appointment soon.

Meanwhile, any advice as to how to save my contacts which have mysteriously re-appeared?
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Presumably your latest back up of the phone has the contacts -I'd suggest re-naming the phone and backing that up (which means the back up of the phone under it's old name is not touched). 

You could also do a copy of the back up (if you are on a PC that is found in Users/'user name'/App Data/Roaming/Apple Computer/MobileySync) just in case.

Other can be a pain, my iPad was suffering from huge amounts of other which seemed to come from the built in photos app - I used it to take a lot of screen shots which I had deleted but the space they had occupied did not get freed up.  I restored the iPad but of course as it restored from a back up including  the large amount of 'other' the problem remained so I ended up deleting everything from the iPad from within the settings menu and setting up as a new iPad.

Message 10 of 10