Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading early through o2 refresh or CPW

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey! i havent been here is a while! 

I wanted some advice on upgrading!

I recently lost ( stolen) my fairly new iphone6+128gb that I bought straight up from apple. uninsured

Luckily my contract runs out in october but i want to upgrade early as I wont be in the country. 

- I will be unlocking my phone through GAME from o2 so i can use a foreign sim card whilst i am abroard -( this is important) 

o2 have offered me to upgrade through refresh for around £200 inc upgrade fee and £49 a month

CPW offered me up upgrade with them for £164 inc upgrade fee and £49 a month

I know it is not a big difference but i want to know what will be better? i have heard not a lot of people like o2 refresh as its much more expencive in the long run and the CPW manager advided me it would be cheaper to upgrade hrough them ( he is a dear friend and is honest) 

Im stck in a rut with who to go with so id love someones advice who knows all the hiddens costs and stuff about both companies!

thanx in advance 

look forward to hearing from anyone 

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Good luck, there are cheap smart phones out there that will tide you over.

Message 21 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey again! I just phoned an apple store and asked about upgrading through them on o2 ( they did assure me that the phone will be sim free which is a plus!)  but they couldn't give me any more information on any thing else I asked unless I came into store which is difficult at the moment as its quite a journey just to ask a question.

If anyone has upgraded on o2 directly through apple store, do they allow you to pay an early upgrade fee to them? If NOT then am I able top pay the remaining fee of my contract to o2 ( £84 ) then go to apple and take out my fresh 24 month contract with my desired phone? 

The lady on the phone told me a upfront cost of a new contract would be roughly £50 or so which sounds too good to be true to me...unless im missing something? im after the 6+ 128gb 

I will be making my way down sometime this week but if anyone knows anything about this then please let me know! 

thanx again 

Message 22 of 35

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
You can make a payment directly to O2 in advance to clear your current contractual obligations. This will leave you free to upgrade as and when you wish.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 23 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

I could be wrong here but I thought if you bought from Apple, to get an unlocked iPhone you had to pay for the phone in full? You can certainly get one on an O2 contract....but that wouldn't be unlocked? I am sure someone will confirm or not if this is the case..?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 35

jonsie
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

It was always the case if you upgraded or took out a network contract that it was locked to that network with Apple, unless they have changed that policy now?

Message 25 of 35

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
Apple have said that all their phones are unlocked, sim free, regardless of how they are purchased.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 26 of 35

jonsie
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Apple have said that all their phones are unlocked, sim free, regardless of how they are purchased.

Ok....but what would happen if you purchased it on an O2 contract from Apple @MI5...would it then become locked to O2...(genuine question)...Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Ok....but what would happen if you purchased it on an O2 contract from Apple @MI5...would it then become locked to O2...(genuine question)...Smiley Frustrated

This... 

ive not taken out a contract directly through apple on a network before so I dont even know how their credit checks  work or pay monthly device and airtime costs etc etc 

Message 29 of 35

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

No, all phones that Apple sell directly are proper sim free phones.

Message 30 of 35