Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 4 to 5 and want to give current phone to family member

Kevin1966
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I currently have an iPhone 4 on contract and today I took advantage of the offer to upgrade my phone 1 month early. What I would like to know is how to alter the current iPhone 4 to PAYG and give it to a family member when the iPhone 5 arrives as they don't want a contract phone and naturally I don't want to have to pay for 2 contracts.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149371 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Just get an O2 PAYG SIM and put it in the phone. Your contract SIM will transfer to your new phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 149371 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Just get an O2 PAYG SIM and put it in the phone. Your contract SIM will transfer to your new phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
  • 93982 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

I would also take the opportunity of getting the phone unlocked free whilst you are still using it on contract (unless of course it's already unlocked).

Message 3 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

and when you put the payg sim in do not forget you need to change the apn's so the internet works etc

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 11

Kevin1966
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I would like to think everyone for their replies, very helpful, thanks all. Will simply get the PAYG SIM. Where we live the only reliable networks are O2 and Vodafone and since I've not had any problems with O2 I'll probably get an O2 SIM.

Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 149371 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Good advice above regarding getting an unlock request in now though anyway as it id free whilst phone is on contract. Otherwise it will £15 on a PAYG phone. https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form
Message 6 of 11

Kevin1966
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just filled in the form for the unlock request although I have ordered the new SIM as well.

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 149371 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Plenty of time before your 5 arrives wink
Message 8 of 11

jonsie
  • 93982 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

It will add to any resale value if the family member wishes to sell it on anytime in the future.

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it's a bit of an older thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for chipping in far beyond the initial question.

Really cool to see, Kevin is lucky to have you guys around! wink

Message 10 of 11