cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained large data use

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yesterday I had around 120 mb of data left.

I was setting my new iPhone up earlier and received a text message telling me that I had used 80 percent of my allowance. At that point I checked on My O2 app and I had 45 mb remaining, this was around 3 hours ago.

I have just received another text saying that I have used all of my allowance up.

I have my iPhone 6 Plus beside me, on wifi, plugged into my computer and I'm in the process of adding my apps, music etc on to it through iTunes.

I can remember a couple of years ago I had the same thing happen, and it was just after a new iOS release!

Has anyone else had an unexplainable large data use like I have?

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94

Anonymous
Not applicable
this is the first time in a year that i had gone through 4gb of data in under 10 days!!! before i couldn't go through the whole 4gb even if i tried hard and watched all the videos on youtube!!!
i contact o2 to say there is something wrong with the data calculation and they just told me i had used it all up and that i should buy more!?
Message 61 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
this is the first time in a year that i had gone through 4gb of data in under 10 days!!! before i couldn't go through the whole 4gb even if i tried hard and watched all the videos on youtube!!!
i contacto2 to say there is something wrong with the data calculation and they just told me i had used it all up and that i should buy more!?

Thanks disgraceful @Anonymous. Very poor response to a customers problem that was through no fault of their own.

I'll give you a tip that I was given on here a while back.

Dial 202, after pressing the appropriate number to indicate you are calling from the number you are wanting help on (or words to that effect), keep repeatedly pressing 0 until you hear that you are getting transferred to an advisor.

This normally transfers you to what sounds like a Leeds/Yorkshire based call centre (pretty much all the advisors I've spoke to via this method have had a Leeds/Yorkshire accent). Apparantly they are better at customer service.

Might be worth contacting them and explaining your issue and that many others on the O2 support forums are having this issue too. And also explain the poor unsatisfactory response you received from an earlier call to O2 customer service.

If you havent already updated to iOS 8.0.2, then this supposedly fixes an issue that could cause unexpected cellular data usage when receiving SMS/MMS messages. Although it didnt work for me.

Message 62 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

That makes sense and bearing in mind the congestion being suffered at the moment with O2 until the upgrades are finished. My fear would be how Three will cope if their network gets over subscribed and just how much money is being invested in their network improvements.

Yeah good points. 

According to some articles I've read, Three are investing £500 million in 4G network as they have a deal with EE with mast sharing. EE are investing £1.4 billion in the deal. Three's amount is considerably less than what O2 are saying in this article http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage

Yeah, there's no doubt that with Three been pretty much untouchable when it comes to data amounts and prices, that they will be very appealing to many people, and no doubt many people will be choosing Three over the other networks for their unlimited data options. And like you say @jonsie how will Three cope.

To be fair on O2, the video was still watchable, even considering if O2 are having congestion at the moment with the upgrades.

Message 63 of 95

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145102 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27833 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If you could only choose one network @MI5 based on network reliability, and overall coverage, who would you choose?

Tough question to answer but if the ability to make and receive calls/texts was a priority it would have to be O2.

If data was my main priority it would be Three.

Part of the issue you found with your You Tube comparisson video is the data compression that O2 apply which is why you used less data, but the quality will be lower.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 64 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another factor to consider with Three is, in a lot of instances, Three’s transmitter/transmission power is lower than O2, Vodafone, EE. So this might play a part into who far the signal will reach and also the penetration it will have into buildings.

This site shows all mobile mast locations and who uses them and also other info such as transmitter power, frequency range, and the height of the antenna.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search#

Message 65 of 95

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 66 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Quite a big factor too for use in the home and workplace...

Certainly is.

Message 67 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you could only choose one network @MI5 based on network reliability, and overall coverage, who would you choose?

Tough question to answer but if the ability to make and receive calls/texts was a priority it would have to be O2.

If data was my main priority it would be Three.

Part of the issue you found with your You Tube comparisson video is the data compression that O2 apply which is why you used less data, but the quality will be lower.....

I think I would rather have the ability to make and receive calls, texts in more places than have access to data if I'm honest. You never know when you may desperately need to text or call someone. There's no doubt that Three's data network is extremely good and from the many reports on tests that I've read online, they usually either come first or second in this respect.

Don't get me wrong, the video was still watchable, just noticibly lower quality than when played over Three.

Message 68 of 95

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 69 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Sounds as though you have more or less decided?

I'm leaning a little bit to staying with O2, but I want to try and push them for a better deal, somewhere nearer the £15 per month mark, rather than the £19 they offered me on the normally £24 per month tariff.

I would prefer less minutes than what they offered (say around 300 minutes would be more than enough for me rather than unlimited) but keeping the 5GB of data they offered me, and dropping the price a little in light of less minutes. I think I'm asking a bit much but its worth a try.

The main reasons I leaning towards O2 is the 15 years experience I have of them. And the reliability and coverage I have experienced, but I hasten to add O2 aren't perfect for price, 3G coverage, data speeds, but no network will be perfect.

Don't get me wrong, Three has been very good for me, good coverage where I travel to most, better 3G coverage and good data speeds, the issue I have with Three has been the text message delays. But Three are still a consideration for me. If I had to change network, I would more than likely choose Three.

I might call O2 on Monday if I get chance and try and push them for a better deal wink

Message 70 of 95