cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spare iPhone 5s, what SIM/package for just GPS apps?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I recently upgraded to an iPhone SE (thank you Apple for continuing to make a small form factor phone!). Which means I have a "spare" iPhone 5s now. I recently took up running and cycling and, especially with the cycling, I would prefer to take the spare and not the shiny new SE on my bike in case of accident!

I generally use Runkeeper for tracking my various activities, and have an Apple Watch as well.

So, if I slim down my apps on the 5s to just those I want for activity, especially tracking position and speed etc with GPS and my heart rate from my Apple watch. I will also want to get a cadence monitor for my bike.

So, I guess the main question is what sort of a SIM contract do I need if I don't really want to use it for calls or texts (but could receive calls perhaps by forwarding my SE to it when I go out). Do I need lots of data for the GPS and mapping? (I don't even need a contract for GPS on the Watch 2).

The second question is can I use my watch with both phones, or is it a hassle to unpair and repair them each time? I'm probably going to want to just leave the 5s at home when I've finished working out and continue to use the activity app on the watch throughout the rest of the day so will want to view my stats from all the various activity apps on both phones.

Hopefully someone can give some pointers?

Cheers,

Jock

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Firstly you'd have to pair the watch with each phone every time which I'm pretty sure means resetting it, so major hassle and a loss of all data. But you could share your activity with a second health account on the second phone.
Mobile data isn't required for GPS so a basic £10 a month PAYG sim will easily do what you need.
However, to achieve what you want, a tough case and waterproof armband for your SE is the easiest way to do it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Firstly you'd have to pair the watch with each phone every time which I'm pretty sure means resetting it, so major hassle and a loss of all data. But you could share your activity with a second health account on the second phone.
Mobile data isn't required for GPS so a basic £10 a month PAYG sim will easily do what you need.
However, to achieve what you want, a tough case and waterproof armband for your SE is the easiest way to do it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. It does sound like hassle. And I have a hard shell and case for both arm and handlebars. Better just to make sure it's insured for such use in case I crash the bike!
Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Good luck 😉

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4