Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing and using a new iPhone during contract

ajo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 24 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As O2 are no longer doing 12 month contracts for iPhones (even for upgrading loyal customers...but lets not get into that)... how would this work out.

Start a new contract with the current iPhone 5, 12 months in if/when the next iPhone is released if I want it, purchase direct from Apple, put the current sim in and sell/give away the iPhone 5.

How would this work out from O2's point of view.  Would the sim work, or are they tied to iPhones. Are you breaking any contracts doing this?  Are you able to carry on the remainder of the contract this way?

The only thing I guess would be a problem is as the iPhone would be direct from Apple once the sim is in it will be locked to O2 and O2 won’t unlock it as it wasn’t purchased from them or is the original contract phone.  Is this correct?

Thanks

ajo

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ajo wrote:

As O2 are no longer doing 12 month contracts for iPhones (even for upgrading loyal customers...but lets not get into that)... how would this work out.

Start a new contract with the current iPhone 5, 12 months in if/when the next iPhone is released if I want it, purchase direct from Apple, put the current sim in and sell/give away the iPhone 5.

How would this work out from O2's point of view.  Would the sim work, or are they tied to iPhones. Are you breaking any contracts doing this?  Are you able to carry on the remainder of the contract this way?

The only thing I guess would be a problem is as the iPhone would be direct from Apple once the sim is in it will be locked to O2 and O2 won’t unlock it as it wasn’t purchased from them or is the original contract phone.  Is this correct?

Thanks

ajo

I can't see any problem doing what your wanting to do.

I done the same at the back end of 2011 whilst I was still under my 18 month contract with O2, I purchased a 4S direct from Apple, this was a network unlocked iPhone has it was purchased from Apple. I put my sim card in and had no problems.

Any iPhone purchased from Apple at the full purchase price is network unlocked, and it remains this way even if you put in a different network sim card from what you first put in it.

Just a suggestion, but you mentioned about purchasing the next new iPhone from Apple. Why don't you purchase the iPhone 5 from Apple, and go on a 12 month Simplicity tariff. Doing this would result in cheaper monthly payments, as Simplicity tariffs do not come with a phone and as such are much cheaper. If when the next new iPhone comes out and you want it, you could simply sell your iPhone 5, and put the money towards the cost of the next new iPhone. You would be able to just indert your sim card into your then new iPhone and away you would go.

Its surprising how much second hand iPhone's are worth. I sold my iPhone 4S 32 GB in September for £380, this meant that my iPhone 5 cost me £220. Network unlocked iPhone's tend to make a bit more money than network locked iPhone's has there is a wider audience of customers than can use them no matter what network they may be on.

I purchase my iPhone's direct from Apple and go on 12 month Simplicity tariffs.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145095 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
No problem doing what you suggest. If the phone is purchased from Apple as a SIM FREE phone it will not be locked to O2 and will remain unlocked throughout.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 11

ajo
  • 24 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My understanding was from Apple that the iPhone will lock to the first sim you put in?

Message 3 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145095 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
SIM Free is SIM Free - Always, However if you buy as a PAYG then yes, it will lock to the first SIM.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
bought my iPhone 5 from apple and can confirm its unlocked/SIM free slight_smile
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ajo wrote:

Thanks

ajo

I done the same at the back end of 2011 whilst I was still under my 18 month contract with O2, I purchased a 4S direct from Apple, this was a network unlocked iPhone has it was purchased from Apple. I put my sim card in and had no problems.

Any iPhone purchased from Apple at the full purchase price is network unlocked, and it remains this way even if you put in a different network sim card from what you first put in it.

Just a suggestion, but you mentioned about purchasing the next new iPhone from Apple. Why don't you purchase the iPhone 5 from Apple, and go on a 12 month Simplicity tariff. Doing this would result in cheaper monthly payments, as Simplicity tariffs do not come with a phone and as such are much cheaper. If when the next new iPhone comes out and you want it, you could simply sell your iPhone 5, and put the money towards the cost of the next new iPhone. You would be able to just indert your sim card into your then new iPhone and away you would go.

Its surprising how much second hand iPhone's are worth. I sold my iPhone 4S 32 GB in September for £380, this meant that my iPhone 5 cost me £220. Network unlocked iPhone's tend to make a bit more money than network locked iPhone's has there is a wider audience of customers than can use them no matter what network they may be on.

Message 6 of 11

ajo
  • 24 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@ajo wrote:

Thanks

ajo

Unless im wrong, I think over 24 months this still works out a little more than going on contract.  If you dont mind can you explain your calculation.  Thanks

Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

ajo

For my uses the last time i worked it out, the Simplicy tariff worked out considerably cheaper than going on a 18/24 month contract.

When getting an expensive phone like the iPhone, there is a decent amount still to pay upfront. If my memory serves me correct the iPhone 5 32gb had an upfront cost of £299 on a 24 month contract and at £26 per month.

I got my iPhone 5 from Apple at a cost of £599, I'm on a £10.50 per month simplicity tariff. I sold my old iPhone 4S for £380, so that works out that my new iPhone cost me £220.

So 24x £10.50= £252

Cost of my iPhone 5= £220

Total cost= £472

A 24 month tariff for the iPhone 5 32 gb from O2:

Upfront iPhone 5 cost=£299

24x £26 per month= £624

Total cost= £923

Message 8 of 11

ajo
  • 24 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

ajo

For my uses the last time i worked it out, the Simplicy tariff worked out considerably cheaper than going on a 18/24 month contract.

When getting an expensive phone like the iPhone, there is a decent amount still to pay upfront. If my memory serves me correct the iPhone 5 32gb had an upfront cost of £299 on a 24 month contract and at £26 per month.

I got my iPhone 5 from Apple at a cost of £599, I'm on a £10.50 per month simplicity tariff. I sold my old iPhone 4S for £380, so that works out that my new iPhone cost me £220.

So 24x £10.50= £252

Cost of my iPhone 5= £220

Total cost= £472

A 24 month tariff for the iPhone 5 32 gb from O2:

Upfront iPhone 5 cost=£299

24x £26 per month= £624

Total cost= £923

Ahh yes I can see now it will be cheaper.  I too have a 4S 32GB to sell im guessing at £350 and I think im going to go the the 64GB this time.

Heres what ive worked out.

PAYG

24 x £10.50 + Cost of Phone 700

= 952

(Minus sell of phone at 350) = Total £602

On Contract

24x 26 Cost of phone 400

= 1024

(Minus sell of phone at 350) = Total £674

So overall £72, or £3 a month more with the extras you get on contract.

I hope my maths is correct!

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
People were buying the iPhone 5 from Carphone Warehouse as they advertised it as sim free ,and then had a disclaimer in the small print saying it locks to the first nano sim inserted. The cheek is they were charging the same as Apple are for their truly unlocked models.

My choice also is to purchase direct from Apple as sim free.
Message 10 of 11