Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public wifi problems

Bez89
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can help with this. I'm currently on my second iPhone 6, and everything seemed fine, but I've recently noticed this problem. Whenever I connect to public wifi in a coffee shop, bar, restaurant, or any other public network. I have the wifi symbol, and the network name is ticked in settings. However when I try and go online, at the top of whatever site I go on, there's a grey bar at the top saying network error. So if say I go on Facebook, the page won't refresh, and it will just have this message at the top. Like it's not actually connected, my missus has no problems connecting with her phone, and mine is ok when I turn wifi off, and turn 4g on. It's also fine when I connect to friends and family's wifi. The main culprits seem to be the cloud, and O2 wifi, but have experienced it on a few now. It's really baffled me, and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I find that sometimes if wifi won't play nice I forget the wifi network , re boot my iPhone by holding the home button and sleep/wake button until the Apple logo shows and let go. This resets the phone and typically cures the issue.

You can you latch onto home / friends wifi ok so it's sounds like the phones ok And it's the connection glitching
Message 2 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Are you able to log onto the wifi hotspot through the browser first before trying any other apps?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 19

Bez89
  • 66 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Cheers bandofbrothers, I'll give that a try next time.
Message 4 of 19

Bez89
  • 66 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I'm able to log onto it ok MI5, but the when I go on anything, that's when I get the network error message.
Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're Welcome.

😄

Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Sounds as though it maybe the hotspot that's not connected to anything - It does sometimes happen but it's very unlucky that you seem to be finding all the faulty ones 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 19

Bez89
  • 66 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
That's what's throwing me though MI5, my missus connects to these same spots no problem, on her 5s. 😳
Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apple help link -> http://support.apple.com/en-gb/TS1398

You could have a diagnostic run on it at an Apple a genius Bar via http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

But before try - Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings -
Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Bez89 wrote:
That's what's throwing me though MI5, my missus connects to these same spots no problem, on her 5s. 😳

Yes, that is strange. I'm not too familiar with the iphone but are there any security settings that might be blocking you from connecting to open wifi networks.....?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 19