Did you mean: 

Pre-ordering at Apple

RossP81
Level 3: Thinker
  • 43 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi guys, 

ive never pre ordered with Apple I'm thinking of joining the upgrade programme. When pre ordering do you pay an upfront fee and choose Tariffs 

Regards Ross

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @RossP81 and welcome back!

Best thing to do is to keep up to date with our iPhone thread below, as we'll be posting updates there.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/iPhone-7-coming-to-O2/m-p/996115#M16895

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @RossP81 and welcome back!

Best thing to do is to keep up to date with our iPhone thread below, as we'll be posting updates there.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/iPhone-7-coming-to-O2/m-p/996115#M16895

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 2 of 14

RossP81
Level 3: Thinker
  • 43 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Toby thanks for your reply. I'm in too minds wether to pre order through O2 or Apple, was just trying to get an idea from anyone that has purchased with Apple before.

Either way I'll be staying with O2 

Message 3 of 14

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

With Apple you will need to pay an upfront charge and agree to the monthly installment, you also need to be out of your current contract or willing to take out an additional one, they will not upgrade you on your existing plan.

So for those on Refresh you will either need to take out a new SIM only agreement, or have paid off your handset plan so you can move your number over as you take the new agreement out

Apple place you on a SIM only plan with the provider of your choice

Message 4 of 14

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@PhoneChanger wrote:

With Apple you will need to pay an upfront charge and agree to the monthly installment, you also need to be out of your current contract or willing to take out an additional one, they will not upgrade you on your existing plan.

So for those on Refresh you will either need to take out a new SIM only agreement, or have paid off your handset plan so you can move your number over as you take the new agreement out

Apple place you on a SIM only plan with the provider of your choice

If you do a pre-order tomorrow morning (they start at 8:01am), I don't see anywhere where it says you pay an up front charge??

Snippet.PNG

My understanding of the pre-orders, is that you pre-order the phone and you either pay the full cost of the phone up front or pay the £599 cost of the phone, over a set period of up to 24 months.

I'm actually going to opt to do that very thing - pre-order the above iPhone 7 and spread the cost over 24 months via my PayPal Credit account, which I already have. That works out to around £28.76 for the phone. Then, all I have to do is get a decent SIM only deal (I have seen a good one for £20) on top so that will be £48.76 in total a month for a brand new phone. Not bad I think and it will DEFINITELY be cheaper doing it this way than waiting to see what the network deals will be - and they WILL have massive up front fees for the phone!!!

Message 5 of 14

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@DinoF wrote:

I'm actually going to opt to do that very thing - pre-order the above iPhone 7 and spread the cost over 24 months via my PayPal Credit account, which I already have. That works out to around £28.76 for the phone. Then, all I have to do is get a decent SIM only deal (I have seen a good one for £20) on top so that will be £48.76 in total a month for a brand new phone. Not bad I think and it will DEFINITELY be cheaper doing it this way than waiting to see what the network deals will be - and they WILL have massive up front fees for the phone!!!

But you'd be paying interest of 14.9% on the amount you borrow which (my quick calculation shows to be nearly £90). Depends though on what the upfront costs from the network to really say its a saving plus at the value of the phone, you really need to have insurance which you need to factor in to the costs. 

Though personally, I'd be using a cash back credit card on the right date so I wouldn't be paying for nigh on 2 months, then pay it off in one go thus make a profit! Even better, if you collect the nectar points then you can get more points for use elsewhere. Then if I wanted I could flog the now in-demand phone without loss. Which comes to about £10 minimum Smiley LOL Hmmm, wonder if the pre-order is limited to 1....

Message 6 of 14

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

@DinoF wrote:

But you'd be paying interest of 14.9% on the amount you borrow which (my quick calculation shows to be nearly £90). Depends though on what the upfront costs from the network to really say its a saving plus at the value of the phone, you really need to have insurance which you need to factor in to the costs. 

I've never had insurance on ANY of my iPhones, never been necessary (had 3G, 4, 5 and 6).  I think the networks will want a big up front cost - at least £50 if not greater. Pre-ordering from Apple will work out cheapest for me I think.

Message 7 of 14

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Sorry to clarify. Pre-Ordering for the Apple Upgrade program if you read the detail is for an appointment IN STORE to join the program will be available at 08:01am tomorrow.

If you read the terms of the program then an upfront fee is payable when joining.
Message 8 of 14

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

ApplePre.JPG

Message 9 of 14

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@PhoneChanger wrote:
Sorry to clarify. Pre-Ordering for the Apple Upgrade program if you read the detail is for an appointment IN STORE to join the program will be available at 08:01am tomorrow.

If you read the terms of the program then an upfront fee is payable when joining.

...yes, you are correct, however that is for the Upgrade Program, for which again, you are correct, you need to go to a store and make an appointment, for which, there WILL be an up front cost as you are upgrading, so the up front cost would make sense (you would also expect an up front cost when pre-ordering via the networks).

I am talking about pre-ordering from Apple's website here (essentially, buying the phone outright - no contract): http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-7/4.7-inch-display-32gb-black#00,11,20

...where you just either pay the full cost of the phone during the check out process, OR, you opt to pay in monthly installments (up to 24 months) using a PayPal Credit Agreement (which I already have in place - £3K limit!!). If opting for this, I highy doubt there will be an up front cost - what would be the point?!

No mention of up front costs here:

Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 14