cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 network problems

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been having O2 network problems since Friday 21st.  Initially I spoke to an O2 rep on chat who got me to take my sim card out of my iPhone 4 clean it etc.  This did not work so he informed me that he thought it was a Sim issue and that I needed to get a new sim card from O2 which I promptly did.  This did not work.  When we put the SIM card in another unlocked iphone4s it seemed to work.  We then did a total reset on my iPhone 4 and it seemed to work temporarily then stopped.  The inital person I spoke to had said that it could be a SIM issue or a phone issue so when the new SIM did not work I promptly contacted Apple having read many forums about no service issues and got a replacement on my warranty.  In the meantime I tried to put my sim card in my old Samsung Wave it didn't really work.  Occasionally I got texts through 2 hours late and I could ring out but people could not contact me.  I spoke to another O2 rep on chat who went through all the motions and then informed me that I would need to take both my old and new SIMS to O2 store.  Today (when I was planning to go to the O2 store) my replacement phone arrived from Apple so I tried the SIM.  We went out as we had planned to today and texts seemed to be sending and coming through even some which I had missed over Christmas.  But when I have returned home although I usually have service and my phone is showing I have service I am unable to send or recieve texts.  I have tried the following solutions.

Turning off 3G

Airplane mode

Full reset

Resetting network settings

Erasing iPhone and starting again

Checking message outbox number

Removing sim card

(Numerous times on all phones)

I have come to the conclusion that this is not an iPhone issue and that it is a network issue but according to O2 there is no issue.  Today I spoke to someone (who was obviously keen to get off the phone with it been new years eve) who said that I would need to speak to the technical team on Wednesday.  He suggested that I try to find out where my phone stops working and see if anyone else has had problems.  Is anyone else having problems.  I have found a couple of people (facebook friends) who experienced problems in my town on Saturday.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I am sick of this and as I am a pay monthly customer it makes me angry that I am paying for an unusable service and I keep having to ring them to sort it out. 

I had read lots of iPhone forums moaning about the iPhone but personally I couldn't fault them replacing my phone and I can't imagine that all 3 phones I have tried are all to blame (especially with me using a Samsung).

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You're right there seems to be an issue in NI right now:

http://status.o2.co.uk/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 21 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still having issues with this even when I leave my area.  I was at my parents in law today from 8am to about 2pm where I appeared to have service.  At about 1.45 I got 17 texts through at once some of which had been sent midday yesterday.  My texts seem to be going OK.  Calls are quicker to connect when I am away from home.  Still puzzling me but I am sure it is a network issue.  I am going to see what happens and ring O2 tomorrow and will make sure I update the thread when I have found a solution as I know how frustrating it is for me!!

Message 22 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do also have problems making calls and sometimes get call failed when I have 3 bars of signal.

Message 23 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Following a call failed I tried ringing my mobile from the house phone without moving it and got through straight away.  Then when I try calling my home again from mobile (without moving mobile) it connects.  Very frustrating as I know sometimes people are unable to get through to me! 

Message 24 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE

Having spoken to 02 again several times they have finally admitted that there is in fact an issue with their phone mast and that several people have reported issues in the area.  They have updated their service status accordingly and I am awaiting a solution.  The last guy I commented to said that it might be because the technitions were on reduced hours over Christmas which I think is a pretty poor excuse.  Apple have really made their customer service look good by replacing the phone without question whereas O2 have shown very poor customer service.

Message 25 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

apple are good at looking after their customers

Message 26 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this Community so please forgive me if I shouldn't be asking. However, I've just moved house and the O2 signal is almost useless in this area. I've tried one of those (possibly illegal) booster boxes off eBay - there doesn't seem to be a signal to boost! 

I use an iPhone 3GS and wonder:

1.)    If I were to upgrade to an iPhone 4S might it do a better job of hanging on to/finding weak signals?

2.).   The O2 people tell me that an official Booster Box (similar to that offered by Vodaphone) is on trial but they've no timescale. Does anyone out there have any idea about when these things might hit the street, please?

It's just that I'm a tad frustrated with the O2 service here and am considering switching to Vodaphone, although that would hurt as I would loose some great elements of my tariff.

All help and ideas appreciated, thanks.

Message 27 of 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Some phones do process signals better than others and in theory a newer phone should be better. If the signal is very poor your only real help is an app called TuGo which is due for release soon which will route calls through your home wifi.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 28 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent. Many thanks for that. I'll take a look for that App on the Internet.

Best wishes
Message 29 of 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
When it gets released it will be on Google play for android phones and app store for apple phones.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 35