Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 and adding Airtime plan for Apple Watch 5

Mike59
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Finally, after days of frustration I found out how to add a new Apple Watch to my O2 airtime plan, see below. With my watch paired to my phone, I was opening the Watch app on my phone, selecting Mobile Data and pressing the 'Set up mobile data plan' button (I don't remember the exact title) and then nothing much happens, and finally I get an error message saying it could not  do this and to look at an o2 link, which is no help. Finally I discovered you need to do the following:

On the iPhone, go to Settings and select Privacy > Motion & Fitness and switch it on. 
Then go back to the watch app/Mobile Data/set up mobile data plan and be ready to put your o2 username and password in to the resulting o2 screen. Also, it costs £5 monthly to add the airtime for the Apple Watch, so you'll need to authorise this after entering the o2 user name and password. The phone app will then say 'activating' which can take a day or so, but at that point, you can try doing a phone call direct from the watch to test it. 
O2: you need to add the above to the instructions for Apple Watch users for the watch Series 5. Nowhere in the Help area is any of this explained and also the £5 charge is not mentioned anywhere. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Good tip....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Nicola_D
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Mike, Thanks for adding this tip!

Can I please ask the community... Do I need to pay for an additonal data plan for a new Apple Watch Series 5 or can it be used under my current O2 phone contract? 

I can't find the asnwer anywhere so your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
If you want the watch to work independantly of the phone (ie, you can go out without the phone and still receive calls and messages) then you would need the plan.
If you are happy to use it as a normal smart watch then you can pair it and use it via bluetooth.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 5