Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No personal Hotspot

jimmybled
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi all any help or advice would be grateful. I recently came out of my contract with o2 after 2 years.I paid my phone off and was paying £32 a month for my sim with 20g of data, I went into a o2 shop last wk to upgrade to a sim only deal 25g for £25 a month happy days with that. My account was updated and I kept my number but when I got home I tried to connect my tablet to my phone via hotspot which I had no problem with for 2 yrs until I went into shop only for it to say could not obtain an IP address. I went bk into the shop and explained it to them their solution was that it’s my phone at fault and tried to get me on a new phone contract or tablet which I didn’t need. All in all they put a new sim in my phone and said it will be fine now. I told them if it doesn’t work i shall cancel the new contract and go with someone else I asked how long I have before my cancellation is up he said 30 days which is actually 14 days. I got home and went through my o2 app and thought ok il get a new phone and sim so I opted for iPhone 7 with 30g of data to collect from the shop when it’s available. I’ve just had a o2 message saying my new contract sim is active with the 30g of data. So I turned my hotspot on and it works fine so shall I phone o2 up and cancel everything whilst I still have time and go with someone else or try get intouch with o2 and ask for answers to why they have done this? Any advice is appreciated thankyou.
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The problem with the simo tariff was the wrong data bolt on.
You need iData for the hotspot to work so that account was set up incorrectly.
The new contract is obviously now set up correctly so the hotspot works.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The problem with the simo tariff was the wrong data bolt on.
You need iData for the hotspot to work so that account was set up incorrectly.
The new contract is obviously now set up correctly so the hotspot works.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

jimmybled
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thankyou for your reply MI5
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It seems pot luck as to how new accounts are set up. So I'm thinking it's purely a matter of either different levels of training or pure apathy on the part of some advisers who deal with new accounts. It shouldn't still be happening after all the feedback we've given over the years.

Message 4 of 8

jimmybled
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thankyou jonsie. Enjoy the whiskey 😉
Message 5 of 8

jimmybled
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just an update I have been intouch with o2 and I am in the process of cancelling the new phone contract, waiting for a Jiffy bag to return the phone. Hopefully when that gets returned I can go on a sim only contract with a personal hotspot I can use
😉
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You’ll be fine as long as they put you on the correct data tariff!

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8