cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Data Whilst On A Phone Call - O2 iPhone 6S

Anonymous
Not applicable
I recently got on contract with O2. I have an iPhone 6S & noticed something weird. Excluding wifi, I cannot go on the internet whilst on a phone call. As the caller I lose out on 4G completely & the receiver who is also on O2 on an iPhone 6S drops data from 4G to 3G.

Is this an O2 issue because others who had an iPhone 5S didn't experience this issue & I had a Samsung S7 too.

Also, anybody on other networks using any device would receive a call vibration even when on a current call but with O2, we receive "missed call texts".

Could anyone help please?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As O2 has not implemented volte yet to make calls/ recieve calls the handset has to revert to 3g or 2g .

On 3g you should still be able to use data at the same time as a call but not on 2g (limitation of 2g)

Re call waiting (2nd call) is it active in settings https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202176

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As O2 has not implemented volte yet to make calls/ recieve calls the handset has to revert to 3g or 2g .

On 3g you should still be able to use data at the same time as a call but not on 2g (limitation of 2g)

Re call waiting (2nd call) is it active in settings https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202176

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's only as the call receiver.

E.g. If I was walking somewhere & had to call someone, as I'm talking maybe 1min30seconds in, I lose data. So if I need to use Google Maps or anything which requires internet, I can't use it.

If I am on a call to someone & someone wants to call me at the same time, on other networks you have the option to choose whether to accept or cancel the call. With O2 you get texts. Those are my queries.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 7

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

call waiting is the second call incomming rather that an alert you missed a call message .where you can accept or reject the second call

When on a 3g call do you lose the 3g icon at the top of the screen . But on an incomming call it will drop 4g as far as I have noticed on my iphon e7

Apple Watch series 4

Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You need to set call waiting on your handset.
Others have also noticed no data in calls on iPhones but it works OK on Android.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Just turned wifi off and enabled 3G for data/voice made a call to my landline then came to safari during call data was working but slowly (but no loss of 3G icon local mast still in upgrade to 4g etc data patchy at times)

Apple Watch series 4

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous It depends on several factors, I will explain it as simply as possible for you.

On O2 and any network that doesn't support VoLTE (both for making and receiving calls / both parties) if you are on 4G when you make or receive a call you will drop to either 3G or 2G depending on what has the better strenght and also load, so if say 3G is busy you will drop stright to 2G but if your handed down to 3G you CAN access data services, if 3G gets busy the cell site will automatically hand you down to 2G to allow 3G data traffic or more calls etc, Once you are handed down to 2G you can not be handed back over to 3G as its a limitation to 2G hardware and software, on 2G you cannot on any netowk access data (again a limitation of 2G) this applies for both people on the line so if you call a friend on (for arguments sake) O2 they will drop from 4G to either 3G or 2G, same goes for you, you will drop from 4G to 3G or 2G. Again, 3G will hand you down to 2G if needed if your on the move or standing still with full signal. The network is smart and talks to the phone, thep hone talks back and the network makes the changes needed seemlessly so you dont drop the call. (Very clever) If you want to learn about call handover (handing from 1 mast to another) normally happens when on the move, then google / wikipedia is your friend.

Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 7