cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost iPhone 6s, cannot seem to erase it on iCloud

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I do this easily? I seem to be encountering issues, since I can't access the device itself.

Also would a replacement for the handset be costly? I have insurance.

Lastly, is my data at risk?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Once you tell iCloud to wipe the phone it will hold onto that command until the phone reconnects to a mobile or wifi network, then it will erase everything.
As long as you have a passcode on no one can get at your data without knowing the code. Not even Apple.
The replacement cost on insurance will be whatever your policy excess is, usually around £60
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Once you tell iCloud to wipe the phone it will hold onto that command until the phone reconnects to a mobile or wifi network, then it will erase everything.
As long as you have a passcode on no one can get at your data without knowing the code. Not even Apple.
The replacement cost on insurance will be whatever your policy excess is, usually around £60
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply MI5.

I've just managed to get past the hurdle of selecting 'erase'. But now it just says, 'erase pending'. So if the battery dies which I presume it will in a few hours, and in turn doesn't connect to a wifi connection, will the erase not go through?

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It won't erase until it reconnects to a network but if someone finds it and charges it up it will erase as soon as it turns on.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I see. Was just worried there was a way a person could get it working for them and intercept the erase somehow. I've heard people saying the erase pending can show on iCloud for a long time but going by what you said it shouldn't even matter.

I just had a couple questions re: replacement. Since I have myriad two step authentications set-up for accounts, when I get a new device and in turn, a new SIM, will these be affected or will my number remain the same?
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Your phone number will be the same on the replacement.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6