cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

***HUGE data downloads at midnight***

Anonymous
Not applicable

for the last two months every night at around 2230-2300 my account is updated with the data usage for the day - for the last month this has ranged from 1-7584kb, however; at the stroke of midnight there is a second update for much larger amounts - from 5,026-287,000 meaning I've torn though my 1GB (500mb allowance and 500mb bolt-on) in three and six days respectively!

i've been advised all the usual bumph from O2; delete apps that might use a lot of data, close them down instead of running them in the background, turn of location services.  But my actual usage patterns have not changed.  I never did these before and never used this much data so I'm not sure it's that but have dutifully done these things to limited effect.

One super-helpful guy in-store looked into it and suggested it was an Apple glitch and that downloading the new OS would help but it hasn't unfortunately.

Actually on one day I deleted every single app in order to clear space on my phone to download the new OS and still managed to use 30,000kb!

Anyway has anyone experienced this/got any ideas how to fix it?

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

look in ios7 settings > mobile/ cellular to see what is actually using the data

You get 2 figures a day 1 is upload data and usually the smaller and 1 for download that is the big one.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146992 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions
All days data is recorded at midnight it's not been used at midnight......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

look in ios7 settings > mobile/ cellular to see what is actually using the data

You get 2 figures a day 1 is upload data and usually the smaller and 1 for download that is the big one.

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 146992 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions

and turn off mobile data so the phone does not default to it when asleep and wifi turns off.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm not suggesting i'm using the data at midnight (i'm usually fast asleep!) - I'm curious as to why the data is being posted to my account twice. 

also why my phone-usage habits have not changed but the rate the data is being used up has changed DRASTICALLY!

before I added the 500mb bolt on I'd go over my allowance every few months.  since I added the extra 500mb I've used it all up in mere days!

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

at last a poss explanation of the two data-amounts showing per day!  Though the guy instore thought this was not regular.  you'd hope he'd know but :-S

But it doesn't explain why my phone-usage habits have not changed but the rate the data is being used up has changed DRASTICALLY!

before I added the 500mb bolt on I'd go over my allowance every few months.  since I added the extra 500mb I've used it all up in mere days!

Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

not sure where I'd find the mobile data option on my phone ... could you tell me and I'll give it a try

Message 7 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

settings> mobile / cellular all data options are there in ios7

Apple Watch series 4

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 146992 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions
http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/monitor-app-data-usage-ios-7-disable-data-hungry-apps-from-sucking...
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm really running on minimum apps having had to delete everything to update the operating system.

also I'm not using any apps I wasn't using previously when 500mb was usually enough per month.  i actualy think i'm using the apps less then I was too as it's busier at work now!

Message 10 of 12