cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

***HUGE data downloads at midnight***

Anonymous
Not applicable

for the last two months every night at around 2230-2300 my account is updated with the data usage for the day - for the last month this has ranged from 1-7584kb, however; at the stroke of midnight there is a second update for much larger amounts - from 5,026-287,000 meaning I've torn though my 1GB (500mb allowance and 500mb bolt-on) in three and six days respectively!

i've been advised all the usual bumph from O2; delete apps that might use a lot of data, close them down instead of running them in the background, turn of location services.  But my actual usage patterns have not changed.  I never did these before and never used this much data so I'm not sure it's that but have dutifully done these things to limited effect.

One super-helpful guy in-store looked into it and suggested it was an Apple glitch and that downloading the new OS would help but it hasn't unfortunately.

Actually on one day I deleted every single app in order to clear space on my phone to download the new OS and still managed to use 30,000kb!

Anyway has anyone experienced this/got any ideas how to fix it?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you spoken to O2 Customer Services on 202. They will try and clarify the data usage and if any error has occurred they will reset your data allowance accordingly.

A useful app called Onavo also helps suggest what's being used and also compresses data usage.
Message 11 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go into Settings/About, scroll down to Diagnostic & Usage.

Can you tell me if "Automatically Send" is ticked?

If this option is ticked, your iPhone will automatically send daily diagnostic and usage date to Apple.

I cannot see this using anywhere near the data amount you've mentioned though.

If Automatically Send is ticked, could you tick the "Don't Send" option and see if it helps or solves your issue. 

Message 12 of 12