cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early phone swap?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Silly question, but I want to be certain before I risk spending lots of money on a brick...

I'm 6 months away from finishing my contract with O2 on an iPhone 5, but the phone is driving me nuts and I'm looking at other options.

I'm considering buying an unlocked iPhone 6 and swapping the SIM to that. I have no issue with O2, so when the contract is up, I'll stick with them on a SIM-only contract, I just want to check first that I can use my current contracted SIM on another phone.

Thanks,
Matt
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122833 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Yes you can. I am currently doing the same myself. This week I started using my Note 3 with the sim from my S3 in it.

I will be changing to a sim only deal when my contract is up at the end of December but until then I am doing exactly what you say you want to do....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
  • 122833 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Yes you can. I am currently doing the same myself. This week I started using my Note 3 with the sim from my S3 in it.

I will be changing to a sim only deal when my contract is up at the end of December but until then I am doing exactly what you say you want to do....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

No problem at all as @Cleoriff says. Finish your contract in the new phone and a sim only deal will then give you much better value with all the benefits of a contract.

You might want to also consider getting your present phone unlocked using the link in my signature below so that you get a better resale value. It's free to contract customers.

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's great news, thankyou both! Time to to shopping now slight_smile
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to make sure the phone you buy isn't locked to a particular network (other than O2) though - I believe the iPhone will lock itself automatically to whichever sim card is first put in it? And if someone has upgraded to a 6 through their provider just so that they can sell that handset for some quick cash, it may well be locked to that network.

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

EDIT - I know you said you are looking to buy an unlocked one, I'm just trying to point out that some vendors might think it's unlocked, but they may have inadvertantly locked it by trying it with their own sim.

Message 6 of 6