cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know the average wait for a new iPhone to become eligible for O2 Open, please?

JMI
Level 1: Joiner
  • 28 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I would like to get my hands on the new Iphone 12 Pro, but I noticed it isnt eligible for the O2 Open tariff discount scheme.  

I am trying to ascertain if its worth waiting a few weeks, or if its likely to be longer than that before it comes off the 'ineligible' list?  It was launched at the end of October.

Thanks in advance

Jean 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@JMI wrote:
wow thank you, thats very kind @Cleoriff. Hopefully @Chris_K can shed some light on this for me 🙂

Jean

Hi @JMI. Cleoriff and MI5 are both right - if having the O2 Open discount is a deal breaker then I'd recommend holding off a while longer until the device becomes eligible because there's no knowing how long that could be. When it comes to 'new' device launches like iPhone, they typically only become eligible for O2 Open discounts when we have 'free-flowing stock', or at least until we're in a much better position.

It's possible that you might be able to apply for your O2 Open discount if the device becomes eligible before your eligibility window ends, but it's impossible to know if or when the device will become eligible I'm afraid... It could be within two weeks, or it could be a month or longer. So if you get your device now, there's no guarantee it will be eligible for O2 Open before your eligibility window ends - O2 Open discounts need to requested within 28 days of the start of your contract.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@JMI 

It's normally between 3-6 months before it's eligible for Open...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

JMI
  • 28 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
wow, didnt realise it was that long. Im not that patient :-). I'll sort my order out now. Thank you
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@JMI 

There is no set time frame, it all depends on how many devices O2 can get and right now they can't get any due to supply problems from China.

There is a suggestion that more stock will be arriving in mid January but eligibility for discount will still depend on how many devices O2 can get and how long the waiting list is.

In short, even if you order now from O2, you will still be waiting a while for delivery of your order.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

JMI
  • 28 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you, they are quoting 2 weeks for the blue one - which ties in with your mid January stock arriving. I have 28 days after delivery to apply the code, so I think I will bite the bullet 🙂
Message 5 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@JMI 

Before, when there were no problems with stock, there WAS a wait for any new iPhone to be eligible for Open. So if you order now, there is no guarantee they will move the time frame for Open to be applied. The only person who would know the answer to this query is @Chris_K  from the social media team.

I've tagged him to the post, so he may be able to answer. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 10

JMI
  • 28 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
wow thank you, thats very kind @Cleoriff. Hopefully @Chris_K can shed some light on this for me 🙂

Jean
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@JMI wrote:
Thank you, they are quoting 2 weeks for the blue one - which ties in with your mid January stock arriving. I have 28 days after delivery to apply the code, so I think I will bite the bullet 🙂

That still doesn't guarantee that you can have the discount though @JMI 

If the discount is a deal breaker, you should wait until it gets added to the list.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 10

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@JMI wrote:

Jean

Hi @JMI. Cleoriff and MI5 are both right - if having the O2 Open discount is a deal breaker then I'd recommend holding off a while longer until the device becomes eligible because there's no knowing how long that could be. When it comes to 'new' device launches like iPhone, they typically only become eligible for O2 Open discounts when we have 'free-flowing stock', or at least until we're in a much better position.

It's possible that you might be able to apply for your O2 Open discount if the device becomes eligible before your eligibility window ends, but it's impossible to know if or when the device will become eligible I'm afraid... It could be within two weeks, or it could be a month or longer. So if you get your device now, there's no guarantee it will be eligible for O2 Open before your eligibility window ends - O2 Open discounts need to requested within 28 days of the start of your contract.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 9 of 10

JMI
  • 28 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks @Chris_K, I dont want to hold off forever so I will bite the bullet & order it. I am going for blue so its another 2 weeks delivery - then 4 weeks after that to apply the discount. If they become eligible in that 6 week period - then thats brilliant, but if not, I lose out on the discount but have a nice phone :-).

Thanks for everyones help, much appreciated, Jean
Message 10 of 10