cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage rolled over into new contract? Watch out for this!

Anonymous
Not applicable

My new phone was despatched yesterday and I'm currently waiting on the UK Mail van pulling up. While waiting though I had a look at My O2, and saw that my new airtime contract is now showing, including the 1GB data. It also shows that the current period runs from today, Sep25th, till October 24th, which is reasonable.

However, it's also showing that I've apparently already used 19% of my data allowance for the period 25th September - 24th October. Which is quite a feat given that data roaming stopped working on my old phone at midnight and the new one isn't here yet!

It's also very high, roughly my monthly average usage, which I think is the answer. I was at the end of my Aug-Sep billing period on the old contract, and they've just rolled up last months usage, which was a day or so away from being finished, and chucked it into next month. Which effectively means two months of data being charged in Sep-Oct.

To be honest it doesn't matter to me. My average usage is consistently 200MB a month as I have wifi at both home and work. So even on my old 500MB plan I never got close to the limit. Frankly they could roll up all my data between now and Xmas and not hit my new limit. But if you are the kind of person who runs close to their number, or even above 50% of usage, this little shuffle could knock you over your limit in month one, which is seriously uncool.

So I advise anyone upgrading to take a good look at their data usage plan when the new airtime contract kicks in.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, phone has just arrived and I've initiated the sim swap. After that my data usage for this month dropped to 9kb!

So it looks like what I saw was just some sort of interim stage and nothing to worry about!

Message 2 of 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
All swell that ends well.

Enjoy your new phone.
Message 3 of 3