cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to a specific BT Openzone hotspot

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got an iPhone 4S with the latest version of iOS6.

I have problems connecting to one specific BT Openzone hotspot. The office in which I work is in the shadow of a BT office which has a BT Openzone and 80% of the tmie I have no issues connecting. However, every now and again, the iPhone just doesn't connect. I get assigned a 169 IP address (which is assigned by the iphone, I believe, rather than than the 10 IP address I should get from BTOZ).

I am making sure that I'm connecting (or trying to) to BTOZ rather than BT Fon or BT WiFi.

This can continue for weeks at a time before it will suddenly correct itself and work for a while before starting again.

I'm convinced it's not an iPhone issue per se, but rather a BTOZ issue where it's not assigning IP addresses correctly (or else I'm effectively barred for being perma-connected 9 - 5 Mon - Fri). It seems to work everywhere else.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

unless it is in the o2 directory it is not included.

Unless you are a bt broadband customer and using that to login and not the free o2 login of your mobile number

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

bt-wi is the new name for openzone try that one.

Is the particular site listed in the o2 directory or shown on the coverage checker?http://consumero2.directoryconnection.com/search.php

http://www.o2.co.uk/network

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a site listed in the directory, a Hilton hotel, plus there's a BT building directly beside it that's listed in the BT Open Zone directory (http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com).

I've tried connecting to both BTOZ and BTWiFi (there is an Auto-BTWiFi, but it's locked down) this morning, but I'm still getting this self-assigned IP address.

Message 3 of 4

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

unless it is in the o2 directory it is not included.

Unless you are a bt broadband customer and using that to login and not the free o2 login of your mobile number

Apple Watch series 4

Message 4 of 4