Did you mean: 

Apple Watch won’t connect to cellular

DarrellB
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

i have an activated Airtime Plan on my Apple Watch. However I can’t access calls/texts/data. 
in the About section of the Watch, sometimes it says No SIM and other times it says ‘SIM not provisioned’

I have tried unpairing and re-pairing, removed data plan and reactivated - nothing is making cellular work. 

any help please?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Martin-O2 is the Community Forum manager, tagging him to get a definitive answer here from O2 - and I'll tag one of the Social Media team in O2, @Chris_K, for good measure, as there is a disconnect, no pun intended, somewhere within O2 on several issues, this Apple Watch/5G gotcha being one of them. SMS OTPs is another.

The ship is perilously close to the rocks....

Message 11 of 17

DEtheridge
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still no update from O2. I've even reset the watch to factory

Message 12 of 17

pgn
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@DEtheridge wrote:

Still no update from O2. I've even reset the watch to factory

Any update, @Martin-O2 or @lewys-gp or @RafaC - my prompt above may have got buried in Martin's Notifications over the break.

Thanks!

Message 13 of 17

DEtheridge
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So finally I know why my watch data plan hasn't, and will never, work.
The watch, purchased as an upgrade has been linked to an iPad device. This will never work as an iPad connection doesn't support voice, only has the data of it's assigned plan and 100 texts. You can't even load the Watch app onto an iPad.
So you think the resolution would be to just move the watch to my phone. Nope. I have to pay off the watch or iPad & watch contracts and start a new contract with a new credit check.
I finally found out all this in store talking to an excellent store manager who knew her stuff. Online chat and 202 just kept disconnecting my chats and calls.
Terrible service (apart from the manager in store) and taking this to complaints and trading standards for being sold something unfit for purpose. The store manager also showed us how this was an issue linked to the website as it is physically impossible for them to assign a watch to an iPad in store. Obviously the website doesn't have that check 😞
So word of caution to others with similar issues, check where your watch has been assigned if you bought / upgraded on the website. From now on I'm upgrading and purchased in store only, if we decide to stick with O2

Message 14 of 17

pgn
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

A result, of sorts - after persisting, @DEtheridge.

So moral is to make sure the phone and watch are linked, regardless of any other devices you have on your contract. 

And Kudos to the Store personnel, I gave always found the in-store, regardless of whether the store is direct-O2 or a franchise, personnel to be helpful, be it Tech Support, Account/Contract, or general "can I have a play with XYZ phone, please" help needed.

Thanks for the update to the Community here, @DEtheridge!

PS. I do hope you'll stay, now you've cracked the problem 👍

Message 15 of 17

DEtheridge
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've now got to try and get escalations to call and try to sort this out without me having to shell out to pay off contracts that shouldn't have been sold. Wish me luck!

Message 16 of 17

pgn
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Good luck, @DEtheridge - I don't know how you're not getting any help from O2, given the screw-up was a result of their online ordering system being a bit thick. I guess the whole Contracts Management bit means many hoops to pass through. So much for... 

• Better sales experience. Customers will be able to order products and services in one channel and complete in another (for example they can start online, move products in to their basket, and complete the purchase in one of our stores).

as publicised here:  

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/O2-System-Updates-What-you-need-to-know/m-p/1544225/highl...

Message 17 of 17