Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple E Sim IPad Wifi Extra on London Underground

Simonb1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Connected an o2 IPad 11 pro with an E Sim.

When on London Underground I can no longer access the Wi-Fi Extra which is offered via Virgin Media.

Using a standard sim the Wi-Fi Extra uses EAP authentication to verify that you are a Pay Monthly/Business Customer.

The Wi-Fi at the underground station was working as I was able to use a corporate device on o2 Wi-Fi extra.

As the o2 has a policy that you cannot receive a text message on an iPad you can’t sign up to o2 Wi-Fi either. Neither can you remove the SIM and place it into a phone to receive the SMS as it’s a virtual SIM.

Can o2 look into this and provide a solution?

One way around it would be to install a profile onto the Apple IPad which would authenticate itself so you can login to Wi-Fi.

As I can’t receive a text message for a sim swap o2 customer services are having to send an old school SIM card so I can go back to being able to fully use my IPad on cellular data and LU VM Wi-Fi.
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Simonb1 

Wifi extra does not currently work with esim, sorry.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Simonb1 

Wifi extra does not currently work with esim, sorry.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

rsg444
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Finally an answer! M15 thanks for confirming what the O2 customer services and "gurus" and technical "experts" have been unable to do for the past 2 months. I think O2 should make it clear that switching to an eSim means no more Wifi Extra. Talk about rushing out a product without full end to end testing. 

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Give it time for customers to complete the testing wink

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4