cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S - which iOS version?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone confirm that the iPhone 4S that O2 are shipping at the moment still have iOS5 on them rather than iOS6?

I don't know what Apple's usual policy is regarding new versions, but know how keen Apple users usually are to be on the latest version.  I know the iPhone 5 will be shipping with iOS6, but is the same true with the 4S? (I'm hoping not!)

Thanks in advance for advice, and apologies if the info is posted elsewhere.  I did look and couldn't find it if so.

Ric

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Surely it will only update if I OK the box on iTunes when it tells me new software is available? Or is this a side-effect of "Update over WiFi"? Is there a way to prevent this occurring? I don't want to lose my Google Maps...

You are correct, user intervention has to accept and click on options for the update to go through.

I've had no side affects from "update over wifi" normally an update over wifi results in a smaller update size than updating through iTunes. The reason been, with wifi you just get the update, when you do the update through iTunes you get the full iOS file, which is considerable larger.

Either way you get the software update and neither the "update over wifi" or updating through iTunes is one method better than the other in my experience.

You can add a short cut for Google Maps to your Home Screen (that's if the 4S you get has iOS 6 on it) by going to maps.google.com on Safari on your iPhone, and clicking the icon (which looks like a square with an arrow coming out of it and pointing to the right), from the options shown, choose "add to home screen". You can also access Street View through Google Maps through Safari too, where previously you could not.

Depending on what your wanting from your Maps app, then the new Apple Maps app is superb for turn by turn spoken directions. I've used it a couple of times and the instructions given are accurate, clear and always correct. If you have iOS 6 installed you can have the best of both worlds has you can still access Google Maps through Safari and have an excellent turn by turn spoken directions Maps app too slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144899 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Any iPhone will auto update to the latest OS available for the specific device regardless of what it ships with. Old stock of 4s will probably not have 6 on them but will update themselves.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Surely it will only update if I OK the box on iTunes when it tells me new software is available? Or is this a side-effect of "Update over WiFi"? Is there a way to prevent this occurring? I don't want to lose my Google Maps...
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 144899 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
I think it will still get you over wifi...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not loving spending my money with a company that are coming to get me. Love the phone, but can't help thinking it should be my decision if and when I upgrade, rather than theirs. But I suppose that's the non-Apple-thinking user in me.
Message 6 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Any ios update has to be initiated by the user they are not automatic in itunes you cancel and on the device unless you go into settings>general> software update and accept it you will not be upgraded.

But as jonsie has said just open safari and go to google maps and create a shortcut on your homepage and the same functions are there as in the old app.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You are correct, user intervention has to accept and click on options for the update to go through.

I've had no side affects from "update over wifi" normally an update over wifi results in a smaller update size than updating through iTunes. The reason been, with wifi you just get the update, when you do the update through iTunes you get the full iOS file, which is considerable larger.

Either way you get the software update and neither the "update over wifi" or updating through iTunes is one method better than the other in my experience.

You can add a short cut for Google Maps to your Home Screen (that's if the 4S you get has iOS 6 on it) by going to maps.google.com on Safari on your iPhone, and clicking the icon (which looks like a square with an arrow coming out of it and pointing to the right), from the options shown, choose "add to home screen". You can also access Street View through Google Maps through Safari too, where previously you could not.

Depending on what your wanting from your Maps app, then the new Apple Maps app is superb for turn by turn spoken directions. I've used it a couple of times and the instructions given are accurate, clear and always correct. If you have iOS 6 installed you can have the best of both worlds has you can still access Google Maps through Safari and have an excellent turn by turn spoken directions Maps app too slight_smile

Message 8 of 8