cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reset with no screen?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I need some advice before tomorrow please!  My SGS3 screen went blank yesterday, phone still works but can see nothing. O2 are kindly replacing it hopefully in the morning but I have just realised that someone, with the right know how could potentially access the various apps/financial data before I get chance to change every sodding password. I'm sure this is unlikely but would rather be safe than sorry, so is there anyway I can reset/clear down the phone before I hand it over to the courier??? Thanks in advance.... 

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

If O2 are replacing it anyway the people won't be going out of their way to nosey around the phone. Theyll wipe it and then try a few things to see if a) it can be reused as a refurb, or b) it is only worth the parts in the phone. I imagine even the engineers are compliant with Data Protection.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome.

I think Only if a hard reset could be carried out.

http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-uhard-reset.html

http://thedroidguy.com/2014/03/fix-galaxy-s3-wont-turn-troubleshooting-guide/

They typically wipe and use any internal parts they can on returned faulty handsets I believe.

Edit : Remember to remove your SIM card, battery and any SD CARD before handing your faulty phone over.
Message 2 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Have you done a backup recently?

You could try a factory reset on the phone if the display will allow it.

A full factory reset will erase all data so do a back up first:
Turn off the phone and remove the battery. Wait 2 minutes and put it back
Press and hold down Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
Release all buttons when you see the Samsung logo.
Android system recovery will be loaded now
Select wipe data/factory reset. (Volume buttons to go up or down, select with Home button)

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried the hard reset a couple of times with no luck, but whether it's doing it and I can't tell or if it's just not working at all I don't know. 

Thanks for the reminder regarding the sim and but do I really take the battery out as well?? 

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there anyway to reset the device through connecting it to a laptop?? 

As I say I very much doubt there will be a problem between me handing it over and it getting wiped but it would put my mind at ease....! 

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

If O2 are replacing it anyway the people won't be going out of their way to nosey around the phone. Theyll wipe it and then try a few things to see if a) it can be reused as a refurb, or b) it is only worth the parts in the phone. I imagine even the engineers are compliant with Data Protection.

Message 6 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Try this (only chance) https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can ring the device but need to have previously set up the erase function, which due to the screen I can't do now. Great suggestion though and guess what I'll be doing first with the new device!
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone for trying though, I'll just have to get them passwords updated asap.
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes at least you know now mate slight_smile
Message 10 of 12