cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

playing music

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can i stream music from Google play on my phone (Samsung ace) on my car stereo? I've got a Hyundai i10 active. thanks.
Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Sue, the problem is the Ace only has a small internal memory. It's not a fault, it's not a high end phone designed for many apps and functions - just basic calls and texts really.

You can use your USB stick, no problem, but I would connect it after you have started the engine amd disconnect it before switching off as power "spikes" can cause damage, but only to the stick, not the vehicle.

Google play is a great idea and I use it all the time but only on wifi or with my PAYG SIM that gives unlimited data (not something that O2 offer anymore). If you are willing to change you could switch to Giffgaff (part of O2) who offer unlimited data for £12 a month http://giffgaff.com/index/offer. This way you can stream all the Google music you like.

As for a better phone, I would suggest you look in your local CEX (http://uk.webuy.com/) for a Galaxy S or S2. Both are relatively cheap these days and are great phones. Just make sure you get an O2 or unlocked one.

HTH slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know about your car in particular but newer cars may have some of the following fetures:

Aux In

USB IN

Bluetooth

If you have any of these features, you can stream music to your car stereo. First thing you will need to do is get the stereo instruction manual out and see what features you have.

If your stereo doesn't have these features, you could always but a different stereo and install it. I got a bluetooth stereo for £30 of ebay... might be worth a look?

Message 2 of 17

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Your car shouldn't be the problem but if the phone is still on Gingerbread that could be. From memory bluetooth streaming was a feature from ICS onwards, however, if you look on Google Play you will find apps that may help you https://play.google.com/store/search?q=bluetooth+music+streamer&c=apps
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Logic CS

Thanks for this.  It is a Hyundai I10 Active 2012 plate.  I have got Aux In, USB in and itunes but I was told I do not have bluetooth when I bought it.  I wasn't bothered at the time but I am now finding itunes and ipods and iphones expensive so I would like to swap to google play but I am not sure I will be able to play my music unless I have bluetooth to stream.  You see I have read the manual and it says some really frightening things about using USB devices.  e.g. do not connect until the transmission is started, don't start the engine while it is connected - otherwise you may damage the device and I cannot afford to damage my phone.  And I don't want to be tied like that - my little ipod does not have these problems!

Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear MI5

Thanks for this.  I have got Gingerbread.XWKPY.  Had a look at google play but not sure which bluetooth app would be most suitable - but not sure my car has got bluetooth!  I am off to check my stereo now.  The car is a Hyundai I10 Active 2012 plate - there are 2 different types of stereo in the manual - one with bluetooth and one without.  Not sure which I have got but suspect I have the one without as the sales man was very knowledgeable.  Failing the use of blue tooth - would the USB lead that came with the car be an option?  Are there any dangers involved as my manual says e.g. connect after starting car, don't start car while it is connected?  I need a new phone but I cannot afford one right now as I have just lost my job so I don't want to damage my Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830.  May just stick with my ipod for now!  I know it works!

Message 5 of 17

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Hi Sue, if the car does not have Bluetooth you will need an aux cable to connect the phone to the aux in on your stereo. It's just a straight cable with a 3.5mm jack on each end. You can get from Maplin or online like Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack-Plug-1-2M/dp/B00077DC3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365080340&... Just connect cable between your phones headphone socket and the aux in on the stereo. You won't do any damage as it's only an audio signal but you might get some "popping" through the cars speakers if you connect before you start the car.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MI5

Are you a person or a company?  I like the Meerkat pic.  Or are you from o2?  

I am new to all of this! 

I will have to buy the auxiliary lead you recommended! 

Just out of interest, how much data allowance will I use do you think for say 1 hour's streaming?

THANKS!

Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Sue, I'm just a customer like 99% of the people that help out on here. I have a day job in the Automotive sector but I am on holiday for Easter at the moment slight_smile Word of warning re data use, if you are streaming from Google Music you will use a hell of a lot of data. 1 album can be as much as 500mb, you are better off getting an SD card for your phone and copying albums to that, then you will not use any data at all. Streaming from cloud services is only really viable if you are connected to wifi or have an unlimited data plan.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 17

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with M15, Aux in would be the best option. I have had nothing but trouble when using USB as usually it just uses your device as a mass storage system meaning two downsides:

1. Only music saved to your phone will play

2. you cannot control volume or any other aspect of controling music with your phone.. only the stereo.

I know this post is not adding much but didn't want to seem ignorant, I hope you get sorted slight_smile

Message 10 of 17