cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi or no Wifi?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All, I'm new here and not technical at all.

I bought a £10 bundle and I have noticed that when I turn Wifi on it takes a pound off my remaining credit.  When the Wifi is off it seems to understand it is part of the bundle?  I thought using my Wifi I wouldn't be charged for using the internet let alone ordinary text messages?  (I've also noticed that if I put a smiley on my texts it is considered an MSM and not just an ordinary text and I am charged for this):robotfrustrated:

In a nutshell I don't understand when to use Wifi and when not toCrazy

Thanks in advance for any help

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I'm puzzled that you were charged £1 for using data if you have 500mb allowance.

Message 11 of 26

MI5
  • 145047 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I'm puzzled that you were charged £1 for using data if you have 500mb allowance.

I would assume because the 500mb has been used up.

@Anonymous you can use http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 to track your usage.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 12 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looking at the thread, and I most certainly don't want to come across as anything other than helpful, but it comes across as the OP may not understand the difference between connection via wifi and connection via gsm???? Have I read that right?
Message 13 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi piperdog123

I believe at the beginning the OP was not clear about connection but I'm hoping from the OP's response that's been clarified.
Message 14 of 26

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for explanation of data slight_smile

Well I haven't used much data at all, I have 448mb remaining (out of 500mb per month).  The problem is/was that as soon as I put wireless on it would then charge me for texts (presumably for phone calls too if I had wireless on).  Turning wireless off it seemed to understand I wanted to use my bundle.

I guess it's a case of me never having wireless on, although I thought that was meant to be a great advantage because I could text/email/surf  for free.

Message 16 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
First your welcome about data.

Regarding wifi

It's free and wouldn't override the network.

If you have a payg allowances of texts and minutes they are taken from those allowances unless you've used them up.

Turning on wifi to connect to home wifi or a shops wifi wouldn't override those allowances.

You would only get charged if you sent texts as Mms as they are not included in your allowances.

I'd suggest phoning O2 on 4445 just to have your account looked at.
Message 17 of 26

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Bear in mind that some numbers are not covered by your allowances such as 0800, 0870, 0845 etc.

Only regional numbers such as 01, 02 and 03 and mobile numbers are included.

Have a look in My O2 for charges outside your allowance but you can check them @ Special Numbers - O2

Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic advice from the members here which I'm sure has armed you with knowledge to understand how to use WIFI and data. Let us know if you have more questions @Anonymous ! 

Message 19 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK so the finale, thanks for telling me the number of customer service, Band.  With the knowledge that everyone has given me on here I felt confident to explain what has been suggested from you all.  It turns out that somehow I had texted a premium number for prizes - which seems very odd as I've only texted friends, but possibly when I was looking for apps I may have triggered something.  Anyway I was told to txt STOP to 80876 (I'm only saying this part in case this helps others too).  I then decided to turn wireless on and text my usual txt buddies.  The balance comes up each time, but it isn't taking any more off it.

When I turned wireless on it said my internet was unstable, but I don't want to be cheeky and ask too many questions on here!  So, you have all really helped me and thank you for being very clear with all your adviceSmiley LOL

Message 20 of 26