cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling S7 Edge and Firmware

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not happy!  TuGo never worked properly for me and now to get my S7 Edge working on WiFi calling I have to take O2 firmware and apparantly this requires a trip to a shop. Does anyone have experience of this?

1. What danger is there to the phone/contents?

2. Do they do this in front of you? ...nobody is taking my unlocked phone away from my view 🙂

3. Is it reversible? (...'cos after my experience I am moving away ASAP .. in March)

4. Do O2 update firmware immediatly after Samsung release, especially for security patches?

Thanks ..Phil

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
O2 won’t flash your firmware in store.
The only way they may do it is by sending it off to their repairs team, but I’m not aware that is something they offer for free or even at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Much appreciated .. their online chat told me yesterday that it could be done in store .... not convinced though!

The patch speed is also a concern.

At this rate I will be buying out of O2 and finding someone else!

Message 3 of 19

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

If you use a certain search engine to search for information on flashing you may come across information that will allow you to do this yourself (at your own risk). NB: we're not allowed to pass over instructions on how to do this. However to answer you questions

(1) There is a risk you phone can be bricked (non responsive) but this is low risk from experience

(2) O2 will not do this for you, at best they will send it off to be done

(3) It is reversable using the same methods (however O2 will not do this step since you're asking them to take off their software)

(4) No, most networks take some time to varify the contents and test the updates before they will release this to you.

Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I can't do it myself since they took your guide down!

Message 5 of 19

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@PhoneChanger wrote:

(3) It is reversable using the same methods (however O2 will not do this step since you're asking them to take off their software)

Reversing any changes which result in downgrading to an older level of firmware will trip the Knox fuse and void the warranty immediately.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry .. crossed.

Many thanks.

Message 7 of 19

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@MI5 depends what you do here, usually O2 firmware is behind the generic version (or the same) so changing between generic and branded on the same version shouldn't effect it
Message 8 of 19

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I know that but anyone who doesn't know what they are doing wouldn't.
You can't just go flashing firmware risk free.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I know that but anyone who doesn't know what they are doing wouldn't.
You can't just go flashing firmware risk free.

Which your guide explained fully. Until it was removed....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 19