cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi fi connection

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anybody help me my samsung galaxy Y will not connect to my home wi fi. I recently called my internet provider and they talked me through changing my password which worked fine for 3/4 weeks then it went off again. When I go into the wireless network setting on my phone it just keeps showing 'obtaining IP address' but it never connects. I don't know how to sort this out any help will be gratefully received. I called at O2 shop and the guy there said try re-setting my router but I'm worried that I may lose passwords etc or it will revert back to old password. I am not really very technically minded or particularly computer savvy and am always worried incase I something drastic happens that can't be sorted. PLease help. Thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Go back into your router and change your password again. Make sure you click the button to apply the changes and then restart the router. Write down your new password exactly as you enter it on the router. Try "di4nky2013". Then go back to your phone and enter the new password.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Wifi passwords are case sensitive, so make sure you enter them correctly, k is not K for example. See it many times even though people are convinced they have entered correct password.

Anyway, start off by going into wifi settings on phone, where you see your connection to your wifi, press and hold your finger on the screen. An option will pop up to "forget". Press this and forget the connection. Then, turn off your wifi router at the mains for 10 seconds and turn back on. Then go back to your phone and rescan for your wifi. Be very careful entering the password and you should connect fine.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am concerned that switching router off will lose my password, I recently contacted my internet provider in relation to the problem with wi fi disconnecting and they talked me through changing the password for my wi fi. If I turn off router will this be reverted back to the original password or will new one remain. Please forgive me for asking what you may think are stupid questions but I am really a novice when it comes to anything computer/internet related.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The new password and all the router settings will be retained. Just like your phone still has your contacts and pictures on if you turn it off.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried switching router off still got problem also tried forgetting the wi fi network and re-entering it but no joy. Phone still just shows obtaining IP address then shows secured with WEP then disabled it then starts the whole sequence again its driving me nuts.

Message 5 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Is this an O2 router?

If it is you could try changing the encryption from WEP to WPA or WPA2 which may work better and is more secure:

O2 router info:

http://www.o2help.co.uk/router-wpa-security/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

No my router is a Talk talk one its a D-Link DSL - 2640R I've tried typing in 192.168.1.1 and going to the pages there but it shows all green lights and shows everything as working properly I don't know what to do now its one of those things that does your head in !!!!!!

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Go back into your router and change your password again. Make sure you click the button to apply the changes and then restart the router. Write down your new password exactly as you enter it on the router. Try "di4nky2013". Then go back to your phone and enter the new password.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8