cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wht happens to OTA files after the update?

EthrielTD
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just wondering what happens to the downloaded files after the update, as I'm stock/unrooted I can't go sniffing around and looking. It was around 850mb so I rather not have it hanging around taking up space uneededly.

Probably a stupid question but not one I can find the answer to via google.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13534 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Deletes after installing.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13534 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Deletes after installing.
Message 2 of 6

EthrielTD
  • 13 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Fair enough, just curious being I couldn't phrase a search in google that would tell me, you'd think with all the people in the world that need stuff spelling out to them that ONE of the OTA guides might mention that...

Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146533 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28187 Solutions
Thought it was common knowledge that the files are just temp stored. Otherwise you'd have no room on phone for anything else after a few updates?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 6

EthrielTD
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I thought myself it might be more like Windows update with old crap left over that you might have to "sagerun" to get rid of. I never had a phone that had OTA (had an Ace on GB which got nothing, and an S2 on ICS that got nothing) before so my only experience is akin to Windows (OS Rev) updating where very little is fire & forget.

Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146533 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28187 Solutions
Occasionally there will be odd files left over but a factory reset sorts them out.
As you are new to OTA updates I will say that it is advisable to do a factory reset after a major OTA update to ensure smooth operation of the phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 6