Did you mean: 

VoLTE and Wifi Calling on Galaxy S8+

daern
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I'm following the instructions here on enabling VoLTE and wifi calling on my S8+. My account has this enabled, but the options described on the website are not present on my device.

Software is up to date (well, merely 3 months behind - Nov 2017 security patch) but no sign of how to configure this. CSC is G955FOTF1AQK7, which should be supported according to the above link.

Any ideas?

Daern

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Once enabled in your MyO2 you need to wait 24 hours then reboot the phone to get the settings to update.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Once enabled in your MyO2 you need to wait 24 hours then reboot the phone to get the settings to update.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

daern
  • 16 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5wrote:

Ah, so is it normal for the settings to be completely missing until the phone detects that it's enabled on the network?

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes, it needs enabling first.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

daern
  • 16 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5wrote:
Yes, it needs enabling first.

Thanks. I've just rebooted one more time (it was network enabled earlier today) and the settings have appeared.

Thanks

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Good news slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Welcome to our forum @daern, glad to see you got the wi-fi calling to appear. Do let us know how you get on with it and if you have any further questions the community could help you with.

Thanks for your help @MI5slight_smile

Message 7 of 10

daern
  • 16 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. I did a quick test with it and it seemed to work ok making calls over wifi and there's a nice icon to show when it's being used.

Leaving aside any considerations of technical implementation, it's a little bit of a shame that the seamless voice call wifi integration isn't extended to SMS too. Personally, this is less of a problem these days now that there's a lot more choice in how to communicate, but it would have been nice for both voice and SMS to seamlessly switch between wifi and cellular connections.

VoLTE support is less important for me personally. I know that the networks are mostly adding this to reduce dependency and load on the legacy parts of the network, but unless both calling parties are using it (and let's be honest - they probably won't be today), it doesn't really benefit me today. Still, nice to see it offered.

Is there any particular reason this isn't just enabled by default at the network level? I would bet that the vast majority of users don't even know this exists and would certainly use it if they did.

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
We know currently that it is causing some issues on phones not supported if the customer attempts to enable the function, so that may explain why it's not turned on by default at network level.
I'm sure it will be, one day, when all phones are able to utilise it.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

daern
  • 16 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the explanation.
Message 10 of 10