cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S6 - GearVR, Oculus and power sharing pop ups

Anonymous
Not applicable

For the last 2 days my S6 has been popping up with Gear VR and Oculus install, making my screen go all black apart from a small 'x' in corner with some robotic womans voice speaking.  I try cancelling this install whatever the hell it is but it doesn't go away easily.  Then keep getting pop ups at random times throughout all the day about a 'power sharing'.  I also can't leave phone on charge at night in bedroom without it beeping as if its starting to charge multiple times and this morning it hadn't even charged overnight when left downstairs charging.

Is this a software or hardware fault? not sure any other users have encountered this (couldn't see in o2 forums)

Only couple months old so I will be looking to return this phone unless I can figure out the reason

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144614 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Definitely a dirty or damaged USB port.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Do you have a Gear vr?
Message 2 of 17

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Actually, reading your post again seems to suggest that your USB port may have some fluff or lint in it, if not then still I would give it a good clean.
The Gear vr is detected by the USB port, as is external charging (power sharing) and the constant beeping when USB connects strongly indicates a poor contact with the cable.
1St job, make sure that port is clean.
Message 3 of 17

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions
Encountered the same thing with my S6 yesterday. Have you used it in the VR before? A soft reset (power+volume down) solved it for me - hasn't appeared since.
Message 4 of 17

MI5
  • 144614 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Definitely a dirty or damaged USB port.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 17

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow fast replies thanks people

The missus is actually using it and she has said today the Gear VR (and no we don't have one of them) hasn't popped up today but she is getting a lot of the power sharing pop up messages.  This is while she has the phone with her and nothing is actually on charge or connected to any cable.

So maybe the port is damaged but would it still be popping up messages with nothing attached??

Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

She has just text me to say that the S6 is saying charger connected when its not even plugged in!

Message 8 of 17

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yes if some current was being shorted between contact points on the port.
I clean my ports with a dry soft paint brush, works a treat.
Message 9 of 17

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Tell her to check her port and give it a blow.
Message 10 of 17