cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy s4 using excessive data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I know this is a common problem on forums in the states. My daughters data consuption has more than doubled since she got a Samsung S4. Prior to joining O2 she was on 3UK and her average data consumption was around 350-400mgb per month. She has had her S4 now for two months, Month one her consumption was around 680mgb month two (this month) she got a text advising that her data was nearing the allowance and two days ago it was reached.

When she got the warning text I turned off all data useage except when on wifi so was suprised that the handset was still pulling data. I spoke to O2 that can only state the facts as they see them that on the 21st Nov 120mgb of data was pulled down. My daughter only uses the handset to facebook at lunch time or play candy crush.When shes at home she uses the home wifi connection. Swears blind she does not use youtube or music download services. She says she does not use the handset any different to the way she used her S2 when she was on 3UK. As I said I see in the states users have this issue but as yet can not see anything in the UK. Is anyone else having this issue?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
First off check in Settings >Data usage to see where the data is going.
You can also set a cap in here and a warning so you know if you are using close to your limit.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did that but nothing seemed to be using vast amounts. Dont know if there is a rogue app or Im looking at it wrong.

Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
The phones data counter is very accurate so if the data used on phone doesn't add up to what O2 are saying you are using you need to take some screen shots and challenge them about it.
Make sure you have the date range set correctly on the phone though to correspond with your billing cycle.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just spotted your post on the S2 data useage. will try out these tips too. Good old google !

Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Good, but you still need to know where it's going wink

Currently using:
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked my daughters S4 last night and the only guzzler I could find was Facebook 17mb in 2 days. other than that everything else was in the Kb so now really am at a loss!

She told me that she had uploaded a small video of her doing a charity bungee jump to facebook. All the google services etc were set to WIFI only. for comparison I checked my wifes S3 also on O2 and her data use is tiny and she too only uses FB and candy crush. What a sad use of a smart phone!

Message 7 of 15

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Facebook isn't the problem but uploading (or downloading) videos will use a lot of data.
Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It would still be recorded as data usage though...
Did you move the slider all the way to the left to the start of the billing cycle?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

oh forgot about that. will do this tonight.

Message 10 of 15