cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini converting SMS text messages to MMS after 160 characters

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a new Samsung Galaxy S4 mini. I have had the S2 for years and so know the product line well. I was getting really frustrated as the phone kept turning SMS text messages to MMS after 160 characters.

I don't know if I changed something in the settings at the start, maybe because I don't like the qwerty keyboard when in portrait mode, but the solution to over ride the 160 character limit (and I took from dannylau via Virgin Media forum) worked instantly:

On your home screen, tap "Messaging".

♦ Open SMS, tap "Menu button"

♦ Tap "Settings"

♦ Scroll down and select  Select "Input Mode"

♦ Make sure it's set to "GSM alphabet" 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

GJD
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

For the annoyance (in my case) of a Samsung S3 converting to MMS after going beyond three text messages' worth of characters, I found that this very simple and completely unintrusive app (no ads, no snooping around your phone) was the easiest solution.

When I'm not using it to write long text messages it doubles quite usefully as a sort of temporary notepad:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=skezza.main

App is called BigSMS

PS I just saw that it doesn't work with more recent versions of Android, although the developer is working on compatibility (it works on mine running 4.3 but that's pretty old, I realise)

Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a new Samsung A3 which sends all texts as MMS instead of SMS, by default. These are only short messages of two or three words.

Anyone have any ideas why this is or what to do about it?

JG

Message 12 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It must be something in your settings.
Open the messaging app then settings and look for something obvious.
Other possibilities are too many smilies etc......
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You can switch off mms in the phone settings. Open messages and then the soft key for settings.

Message 14 of 14