cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Security Policy Update fails

Anonymous
Not applicable

Today I have a notification on my Galaxy S4 that there is a Security Policy Update available. It's from Samsung and designed to make their Android devices more secure. However, after accepting the data policy, it consitently fails with the error "Update failed due to network issues".

This is on the same wifi network that downloads email and browses the web perfectly fine. There is no update available via Samsung Kies.

There are similar posts on the Vodafone forums and there are unverified claims that Samsung have released the update notification without releasing the update itself.

Does anyone know the facts about the cause or solution to this problem?

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing that troubles me about this 'update' is the way the information has been written -  where you can either click 'cancel' or 'confirm'.

The syntax is really bad and made me think that perhaps I was going to update something that wasn't actually kosher! For example:

'automaticupdates...'

'The updatesmay....'

'isnecessary....'

It looks like it's been written by a 12 year old. I am assuming this is genuine, just won't update at the moment?

Odd that there hasn't been an official explanation about this, as many seem to be affected.

Message 31 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine seems to have disappeared and I'm not sure why. I never actually managed to complete the update so it's either simply given up or there is something else going on.

Curious

Message 32 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145091 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
My guess would be that Samsung have pulled the notification until the actual update is ready to be rolled out. It seems they were a bit premature....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 33 of 39

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi guys,

Has this chanced anyone in the last few days? I'm still chasing some info for you.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 34 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

i contacted samsung and they said its a known error and should have it solved by end of the week hopefully theyve had engineers working on it and for us just to ignore it 

Message 35 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I had same problem, but when it asks you to update don't! Press cancel and it goes away. It has not come back yet, ill let you know if it does.

Message 36 of 39

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

We haven't had any reports about this for a while now so I'm guessing MI5's post above about Samsung not pushing notifications now is correct.

Message 37 of 39

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hey Jonsie,

Sorry for the delay in getting back with info on this. I've asked a few times now and I will hopefully have confirmation of what you (and MI5) are saying soon.

Get involved:

Message 38 of 39

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi guys,

Just to quickly update on this. We're working with Samsung to bring a further update to resolve the issue and I'll let you know once I have more information.

Get involved:

Message 39 of 39