cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 battery problem. Any advice?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the past week, my Galaxy S2 has experienced a recurring problem: when I am using an app or browsing the internet, the mobile suddenly switches off.

Prior to this happening, the battery is usually between 50-100% charged, so I know it's not because I have low battery. When I switch the phone back on I receive the 'battery critically low' message. If I leave my phone switched off for a few minutes - half an hour and then switch in back on, I either recieve the 'battery low' message, or the battery life seems to be restored to it's previous level.

This has happened 5 times whilst using the arriva-m ticket app (twice) and the internet (google, 3 times).

Has anyone had a similar issue? I'm suspecting that the battery or mobile itself may need looking at. I've had it for 15 months (2 year contract). Should I contact O2 directly or Samsung?

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Is this the supplied 1650mAh battery?

You should try letting it run down to beyond 1% and charging it for about 3 hours over the charge cycle.

What I did was get a replacement 2000mAh samsung battery to get a bit more juice out of it.

Also make sure the contact terminals in the battery enclosure are clean.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Is this the supplied 1650mAh battery?

You should try letting it run down to beyond 1% and charging it for about 3 hours over the charge cycle.

What I did was get a replacement 2000mAh samsung battery to get a bit more juice out of it.

Also make sure the contact terminals in the battery enclosure are clean.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.

It's the 1650 mAh battery supplied with the phone. I also checked the battery connectors and they seem ok too.

I do run the battery down to beyond 1% before charging and usually charge over night.

I'm wondering if there is a fault with either the battery or phone. It seems like the phone can't handle running certain applications and just shuts down. Then after a short time, I can switch it on and it's fine.

Message 3 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, I'd agree with it been a battery issue.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

A belated thanks for the replies.

I'm bumping this message for a number of reasons:

1) I've read several posts from other S2 owners who have experienced similar problems (if not identical). The advice given here is to either perform a factory reset, update the software or send it to o2/Samsung for a repair.

I've updated the software as far as I can tell (going on the about phone, software update sceens on my S2).

2) I have also popped into an o2 shop when visiting relatives where I was advised to send it off for a repair as it sounded like a 'software issue' (I would have done it there and then but it was in a city miles from where I live.)

So, with the different advice I'm not sure what to do - going to call o2 after new year and probably end up sending off anyway.

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
A factory reset is the first thing to do as this will eliminate any OS conflicts. You should do it from the recovery menu (Vol Up + Home + Power). After this, if it is still failing you should contact Samsung or O2 for a repair.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I over come this problem by running my phone flat and turning it off and charged it over night. I've not had a problem since. I did this not long after the ICS update.
iechyd da
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
The factory reset seems to have done the trick. Thanks! 🙂
Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
The factory reset seems to have done the trick. Thanks! 🙂
It is the phone equivalent of Calpol slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

hello, can you let me know if you have had any further issues since your factory reset in January? I have had my Samsung Galaxy S2 for 18 months, and have started getting the identical issue as the one you described in your original post...phone keeps switching off when using internet/apps, even when battery is charged, when I turn it back on, it says battery is low....been happening all week, very annoying, but I am a bit reluctant to do a factory reset unless I know that is going to fix the problem...

Message 10 of 16