cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 battery problem. Any advice?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the past week, my Galaxy S2 has experienced a recurring problem: when I am using an app or browsing the internet, the mobile suddenly switches off.

Prior to this happening, the battery is usually between 50-100% charged, so I know it's not because I have low battery. When I switch the phone back on I receive the 'battery critically low' message. If I leave my phone switched off for a few minutes - half an hour and then switch in back on, I either recieve the 'battery low' message, or the battery life seems to be restored to it's previous level.

This has happened 5 times whilst using the arriva-m ticket app (twice) and the internet (google, 3 times).

Has anyone had a similar issue? I'm suspecting that the battery or mobile itself may need looking at. I've had it for 15 months (2 year contract). Should I contact O2 directly or Samsung?

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had the exact same problem, for me it seems to be related to having mobile data activated, anybody else made this link? If I deactivate data the battery lasts MUCH longer, when active the battery dies rapidly and the phone has been known to crash/reboot. I am sending in for repair, fingers crossed they can fix it.
Message 11 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It sounds very much like you have a problem app that's draining the battery when you have data enabled. Worth checking and deleting anything you don't need.

Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought similar, but have been through my apps and doesn't seem to be linked to any one in particular.
Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I've been having the same problem as everyone else (phone keeps suddenly turning off even when there's enough battery, always when I am using internet/apps) so I went ahead and did the factory reset. Removed everything, and reboot the phone. And guess what - the problem persists. So I don't think it's to do with a problem app.

What can cause the phone to turn off suddenly, only when I am on the internet or using apps? I am thinking this is actually a battery issue, or maybe a software issue that the next upgrade may be able to fix? Thoughts?

To confirm, DOING A FACTORY RESET DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. 

Message 14 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144922 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27777 Solutions
I would flash CWM recovery and use this to clear your Dalvik cache too...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone

I had this problem too after the last upgrade. As soon as wifi and mobile data were enabled my battery just drained in just a few hours (previously it was days)

Turning wifi and mobile data off would pretty much allow it to get through the night so at least my alarm worked but it was far from ideal. The phone also got very hot.

I read lots about factory reset and other fandangled things that would help. I downloaded a few tools/ apps that analysed various bits and pieces and was all set to do the "reset"

However I stumbled upon the solution by accident last minute. My Google maps had got in a real pickle and when I went in I disabled the button about giving Google access to my location, I then fully charged the phone and restarted it (removing the cache), since then battery has been perfect. I have even re-enabled the Google location stuff, wifi and mobile data and I have used only 10% in about 12 hours with minimum use.

I am sure it could be hundreds of rogue apps that might cause this, but it is well worth trying this first before doing anything drastic.

On the plus side I have also read a lot about how to keep battery life working for longer so have since changed many power settings, downloaded a black background and also just ordered a brand new battery.

It looks like the S2 will live on for some time yet.

Message 16 of 16