Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

Samsung Galaxy S data connection reliability

I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S almost a year ago and up until recently had no problems with 3G and data connections.
About a month ago, I wanted to use my Three sim so unlocked my device. I did this through O2's official procedure not via some dodgy market stall.
Now, wifi works fine but I'm always having problems acquiring a 3G signal. The little data icon will keep switching from, G, E, 3G, H and keep cycling through these but rarely do I get connected. (excuse my ignorance, no idea what these symbols stand for)
The impression I'm getting is that, O2 are giving me a weaker signal as punishment for unlocking my device. Five of my work colleagues are on O2 and while I'm struggling to acquire a signal, their happily tapping away on Facebook etc.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Samsung Galaxy S data connection reliability

Weaker signal because you've unlocked? No. Absolutely, resoundingly NO.
Its more likely a problem with your APN Settings, what are you using to swap settings between 3 and O2?
Highlighted
Anonymous

I've experimented with all the settings. From what I've seem, the SGS doesn't allow for many changes there. Right now, everything is set to default after I upgraded to Gingerbread & factory reset my device.
Are there any apps available from the market that monitor your 3G connection, network intensity etc? That would be handy.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ryan - I have been having exactly the same issue with 3G connectivity since updating the phone to Gingerbread! Smiley Sad
Highlighted
Anonymous

I've experimented with all the settings. From what I've seem, the SGS doesn't allow for many changes there...

The APN settings are completely different for 3 and O2.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hey!
This could be due to APN settings. Here are the APN settings, make sure you switch properly.

Internet
APN: 3internet
IP address: Leave blank
Username: Leave Blank Password: Leave blank
O2
Internet
APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Username: mobileweb
Password: password
Primary DNS: 192.113.200.200
Secondary DNS: 192.113.200.201
SMTP gateway (for email): smtp.o2.co.uk
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ryan - I have been having exactly the same issue with 3G connectivity since updating the phone to Gingerbread! Smiley Sad

Same! Ever since upgrading to Gingerbread, 3G connectivity has decreased.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ok it looks like APN settings were to blame (must have been reset after firmware update)
I used the following settings which seem to have fixed the issue:
Tap Applications
Tap Settings (located on the second page)
Tap Wireless and network
Tap Mobile networks
Tap Access Point Names
Press the Menu key
Tap New APN
Tap Name then tap the text box and enter O2 Mobile Web then tap OK
Tap APN then tap the text box and enter mobile.o2.co.uk then tap OK
Tap Username then tap the text box and enter o2web then tap OK
Tap Password then tap the text box and enter password then tap OK
Highlight APN type and tap
Tap APN type then tap internet (so a green dot appears next to it).
Highlighted
Anonymous

thankyou!!!!!!!!!! this works a treat and the web is also a Lot faster
my guess is there is a port issue with the o2 address on the phone with the update either way o2 need to fix it
Highlighted
Anonymous

I've done exactly what you've suggested and 3G is working fine in my house. I'll test it properly when I'm out and about tomorrow.
My question: how does your settings differ from the APN settings I was using previously? The port numbers are identical.