Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S III Screen timeout query

Sniffydog
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

New user, first smartphone, and suffering from how to overcome basic user interface problem.

When making a phone call with the phone resting on a flat surface and speaker selected, the screen goes bank quite quickly (estimate 20 secs), although the display timeout is set to 1 minute. When making a call that requires numbers to be entered (e.g. navigating through an automated answering system), the screen can go blank during that period and pressing the home key to get the screen back has a time delay - by which time it can be too late to enter the data for the automated system!

I'd like to prevent the screen blanking in such a short time, but not sure which setting is required to effect the chnage. Note (as above), the display timeout is set to 1 min, so its not that one...

Many thanks in anticipation...

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Must be a settings conflict somewhere. Try taking battery out for 10 mins and trying again. If not you might have to back up and reset device if the issue is important enough to you....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
In phone app press menu then call settings and untick "turn off screen during calls"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Sniffydog
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the response but I've unticked that, but the same issue persists. Screen dims after about 20 secs and then goes blank 10-20 secs later...

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Do you have "Smart Stay" enabled in Motion settings? It might be over riding the other settings?

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Sniffydog
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No...

...and "Motion" is set to Zero (in Settings / System).

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Must be a settings conflict somewhere. Try taking battery out for 10 mins and trying again. If not you might have to back up and reset device if the issue is important enough to you....?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Sniffydog
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - will try that.

I also have a freind with the same phone and will compare settings (that phone doesn't seem to have the same issue).

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Not an issue I have seen before either, sorry....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8