cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 3, poor signal reception

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just bought a Sumsung Galaxy Note 3 and I am having problems receiving a 3g signal, before this I had a Blackberry Torch on Orange and their signal has been all over the place, from 5 bars on 3g to SOS.

The reason I bought the Note 3 on O2 was the number of good reviews for the Note 3 and I had bought an LG GT540 on PAYG some time ago and at home I can usually get 2 or 3 bars on 3g but on the Note 3 I can usually only get a 2g signal, if I lock the Note 3 on WCDMA I might scrape 1 bar but most of the time there is no signal strength.

Has anyone else had the same problem or if they know a work round other than changing the phone I would be glad to hear.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
If it is a genuine Samsung product you would be best approaching then directly http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/servicelocation/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 30

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

as @MI5 says but if you paid customs I assume it came from outside the European area.

@MI5 would the firmware info indicate where it came from ?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 12 of 30

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@MI5 would the firmware info indicate where it came from ?

Yes it would - It may also be a region lock problem or a fake phone, depending on where it came from 😞

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
A "fake" phone @MI5? Please do elaborate as I found a website based in Birmingham (so it said) selling brand new Note 3's for just £279.
Message 14 of 30

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Unfortunately there ate many Chinese rip offs that get passed on as genuine items. Some people don't notice until it's too late.
Even if genuine the Note 3 has a region lock which means it must be activated in the region that it is designed for, so if bought from China/Taiwan etc it would be wrong for the UK market.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Most interesting. Thank you @MI5.
I was nervous about the website as it was poorly set up with no contact details other than an email address.

I did do a Google search and took advice elsewhere and found the director and company details. Sent an email with an inquiry but thus far no response.

Guess if it looks too good to be true. ......
Message 16 of 30

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
It sounds way too cheap to be genuine.....

Currently using:
Message 17 of 30

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

I could have picked any number of these counterfeit phones in Thailand for half the retail prices in Europe but the fact that they are region locked would have rendered them useless over here. Having said that, as I spend half of the year over there I may well purchase one on my next trip solely for use with my Thai sim card.

Message 18 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes do be careful as the site I used was aco.uk one so came as a shock to then be asked to pay customs charges!!!!! Does look to be authentic as far as I can tell & love it really just the in & out signal as reported by many others.

Message 19 of 30

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Samsung or Carphonewarehouse would be your best bet for repairs under warranty.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 30