O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Highlighted
Level 1: Joiner
Accepted Solution

SPECTRE & more

Hi All,

Based upon recent news it is apparent that most CPUs including ARM based will be affected by one or more of the 3 exploits revealed by Googles Project Zero team.

My S8 is currently on Android v7.0 Samsung Experience version 8.1, Security Patch level 1 November 2017

I have established the Snapdragon 835 will require patching but am unable to identify any information as to when this will be released.  I presume by Google via an OS Security patch.

Any info would be appreciated.

TIA

Topics: 481
Solutions: 8,953

Re: SPECTRE & more

Google have already said that the latest security updates protects this issue.
Your Nov patch should have it in already.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Lumia 950 Dual (O2 & Sfr) and Z3 Tablet (Three UK)
iPhone7 (EE)

nil desperandum. When you take things for granted, the things you are granted, are taken away.

Actually it looks like it's the December update that's required https://support.google.com/faqs/answer/7622138
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
iPhone7 (EE)

nil desperandum. When you take things for granted, the things you are granted, are taken away.

Thanks for the prompt response, I do hope so!

No need to panic, for sure.

Currently using:
iPhone7 (EE)

Oh ! Just seen this ! Now its January 2018 this leads to further questions...?

Which month in 2018 can I expect the Dec 17 security patches :-/

No one can answer that question I'm afraid. 

Maybe @Chris_K can update. 

It all depends if you are on O2 or generic Samsung firmware?

Currently using:
iPhone7 (EE)

Level 59: Quartermaster

[ Edited ]

There is no evidence, at the moment, that the flaws are being exploited in the wild. By the same token, there is also no way for people to protect their devices other than to wait for security updates from their respective manufacturers. It's out of the individual's hands. We're all in the same boat and we all just have to wait.

Level 6: Acolyte

I agree there is no evideince to date that any of these hitherto un publicised weakness' have been exploited.

Lets face it no one really was aware of them until now.............

This may well become a self fullfilling prophecy. If no one has broken in yet you can bet your bottom that depsite all of the impending security fixes there is someone somewhere now working on a hack. No publicity like bad publicity....

Is it me?