Did you mean: 

S9 Plus email issues

saxacat
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Today I received my nice new Galaxy S9 plus, upgrading from a Blackberry Priv. 

I am having an issue with emails; I only receive emails on the phone when opening the app. I have tried 3 apps, the Samsung mail app, Blackberry Hub and the Outlook app; the results are the same for all 3. 

My Priv used to get any emails at about the same time as my iPad and PC, however the S9 shows no indication or notification of a new email. New emails will only appear when I open the app (they actually pop into the inbox as I'm looking at it). I've searched through all the settings I can find, and cannot figure out what is wrong.

Would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Cheers

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

First make sure that the phone is not actively putting emails to sleep.

Device Maintenance > Battery > Unmonitored apps / Always sleeping apps (scroll down to bottom)

Make sure that email is not under "Always sleeping apps." If that does not fix, put those apps to "Unmonitored apps."

Also make sure that each apps are set to receive notification in timely manner.

Open Email, go to settings. It's the gear icon at the top when you swipe from the left in the Email app

1. Make sure Notification is checked on the first page. 
2. Go to individual email accounts. 
3. Check the "Sync Settings," and make sure the sync setting is set to "Auto (when received)."

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

saxacat
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply. 

I wasn't aware of the Battery one, so hoped that might cure it, but unfortunately it hasn't. The synch settings was already on Auto.

I'm getting my kids to send me emails, that almost immediatly ping onto my PC and iPad as they used to with my Priv, but nothing on the S9; very frustarting.

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
There are a few reports of similar issues on Google by the looks of it so check your firmware is fully up to date and also check the settings in each email app individually.
You could also try importing all email accounts through an app like K9 which has better controls than the basic email apps.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

saxacat
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well I tried setting up my email manually, copying the exact settings on the Priv; but that didn't work. The only 'solution' Ive found so far is to use the Samsung Email App (which I'm not thrilled about, I don't like Apple because they try to force you to use their native apps).

So I am now using the Samsung Email and Calender apps, neither of which give me as good functionality as the Blackberry Apps, but hey, I get my emails as I should.

I am still not sure what happens on the S9. I did a test with 20 emails, with the Nougat Priv and Oreo S9 side by side, same settings (the Priv didn't have a Sim so was accessing the mail server through my wifi, but I get good 4G coverage which is faster than my broadband) on each email, the Priv received the mail 10 to 15 seconds before the S9!!! now I can live with that, but I'm not sure why it should be so confused

Message 5 of 5