Did you mean: 

S8 send failures (texts / SMS)

gazzawazza
Level 1: Joiner
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all

having gone from basically never getting send failures, I've had a few over the last month or so (at a guess - could be a bit longer e.g. last couple of months but mostly recently).

I've an S8 with latest official O2 Oreo patch.

Obviously it could be:

- software

- hardware

- network

Samsung updated their messaging app recently and that i think co-incides with the spike in failures.

Interestingly, i was trying to review when there have been app version changes (to match against failure incidences) and have seen that we're on version 5.x apparently (according to APKmirror).

However, my current version is messages 4.4.30.5 and message service is 4.4.00.26.

Quick research would suggest this is the correct version for the S8 and Oreo - seems that version 5.x works on S9 and S7 but not S8 (though this is based on a reddit post from a few months ago).

Anyway, has anyone else had send issues with 4.4.30.5?

Also, is there any way of finding out WHY a text send has failed? e.g. any kind of log or error code?

thanks,

Gary

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I’d be surprised if it was firmware related as sms is the most basic of messaging apps.
Not sure but could be coincidence and might be worth you trying a new SIM card?
Otherwise it could be a network issue if it’s only happening in one location?
https://status.o2.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I’d be surprised if it was firmware related as sms is the most basic of messaging apps.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

gazzawazza
Level 1: Joiner
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

thanks very much for super quick reply.

I'd be surprised if it was firmware (e.g. radio) but we know that the samsung oreo updates have not been trouble-free.

Then there's the consideration as to whether it's down to the app or the app service (which presumably manages the send process).

Interesting that you mention co-incidence. I checked on the o2 service/network status for my location today and there was initially a message that one of the masts in my location was down but it's now up again. That could easily explain today.

However, other send failures that i recall have been in other locations.

Could be bad luck / mast down / conceivably excess load (but it wasn't like i was at a gig or anything) but I'd expect load to be more 'visible' with slow 4G.

Personally, when i'm troubleshooting, I look for recent changes, which is why I was considering the app update.

Good call on the SIM. Will reseat first and see if that helps.

Sending issues are not a big problem. I don't text that much but tend to send big messages i.e. total texts sent might be high but not because I'm constantly texting. Also, send failures might be, once in a week. Just a blip but it's noticeable when sends are otherwise reliable AND blips have been occurring recently.

Any way to filter (e.g. using the messaging app) on send failures (so I can work out frequency and location)?

Cheers,

Gary

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’d say it’s network related as I get them sometimes if it’s a poor area or my data signal overrides 2g which means that you would have to turn mobile data off to get a good 2g signal 

Message 4 of 10

gazzawazza
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I’d say it’s network related as I get them sometimes if it’s a poor area or my data signal overrides 2g which means that you would have to turn mobile data off to get a good 2g signal 

thanks.

could you explain "...data signal overrides 2g..."?

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gazzawazza If you have your mobile data switched on in a poor area & sms refuse to send then it’s best to turn the data off then the signal will be 2G only & more stronger than the 3G signal would be 

Message 6 of 10

gazzawazza
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@gazzawazza If you have your mobile data switched on in a poor area & sms refuse to send then it’s best to turn the data off then the signal will be 2G only & more stronger than the 3G signal would be 

ahhhhhhhh ty.

Message 7 of 10

gazzawazza
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Something i meant to ask earlier:

Is there historical data for when there's been maintenance or mast downtime in a given area?

I'm thinking of working out where I was when my text send failed and then checking if there was a network problem.

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Not that I’m aware of, sorry.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I didnt think that was possible
Message 10 of 10