cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pin / Fingerprint not working on Galaxy S7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I hope everyone on here is well.

I upgraded my Galaxy S7 to Android 6.0.1 yesterday and since then my security PIN and fingerprint don't work, meaning I can unlock the phone by swiping the screen.  Does anyone know how I can set this up again as I don't like the idea of my phone being permanently unlocked!

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you don't have any other devices connected via bluetooth that you have set to keep phone unlocked you may have to do a factory reset.
Not normally required for small incremental updates though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Have you tried setting up your fingerprint again?
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-s7-guide,review-3456-7.html
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just tried and I can still swipe the screen to unlock.  I've tried resetting my PIN as well and nothing.

To be honest I don't like the fingerprint unlock as it's never recognised my fingers as they don't cover the whole button.  I prefer the PIN but right now I'd like any security!

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Have you changed from swipe at the top of the security settings page?

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, screen lock type is set to PIN.  So far I've deleted the PIN and fingerprint and reset them both and also tried a password and I can still swipe.  I've also checked that trusted places isn't turned on.

I'm a bit nervous having a permanently unlocked phone!

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you don't have any other devices connected via bluetooth that you have set to keep phone unlocked you may have to do a factory reset.
Not normally required for small incremental updates though.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

It now seems to be working after resetting the phone.  I'm glad it's now secure but I'm now trying to sort out my settings!

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help @MI5

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Glad it's sorted.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9